Is Your Son A Computer Hacker! (LOL)

Dark_Matter

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, it really is pretty cool, i use the DVD version, 4.0.2 (as i said) to be exact, and it's pretty cool. I'm currently running (i have DVD's of both 4.0.1 and 4.0.2) 4.0.2 on an HP with a dead HDD, and 4.0.1 on an AMD Duron mobo without a HDD (died also). Knoppix autodetects everything. Internet, USB, 1394 Firewire, etc, etc...really cool...

If you want to try it out (i'm sure you do now!!  :) ) just head over to www.knoppix.com and download a copy for yourself. Please let me note:

It never touches your hard drive!

So, all you have to do is start the pc with the cd or dvd inserted into the drive, and your computer will boot into a completely different operating system (Linux-KDE desktop by default) COMPLETELY OFF THE CD!!. When your done, you don't (really) even have to properly turn it off.

Anyway, i highly encourage everyone to check it out, knoppix is cool!  ;)

Knoppix if i remember correctly is based off of debian linux, and is nice for those thinking about taking the plunge, and actually installing linux. I've been running linux off my computers for years about 9 years total with running, and installing linux. I can say the majority of people who fianlly do take the plunge never look back with regret.

SUSE Linux also makes a bootable cd of it's distro of linux it's pretty choice also.

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=2

So, all you have to do is start the pc with the cd or dvd inserted into the drive, and your computer will boot into a completely different operating system (Linux-KDE desktop by default) COMPLETELY OFF THE CD!!. When your done, you don't (really) even have to properly turn it off.

Unless the system doesn't have the CD-drive in the boot order. :P

Knoppix if i remember correctly is based off of debian linux, and is nice for those thinking about taking the plunge, and actually installing linux. I've been running linux off my computers for years about 9 years total with running, and installing linux. I can say the majority of people who fianlly do take the plunge never look back with regret.

SUSE Linux also makes a bootable cd of it's distro of linux it's pretty choice also.

http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=2

i download SUSE LINUX - SUSE 9.1 Personal. and also burned it to a cd. what else do i gotta do? i restarted and nothing just takes me to my regular startup

Hey pitbull - you need to download the live iso and burn that to CD.

SUSE Linux Live is the one that is bootable from CD.

The other ones you will need to load to a seperate partition and set up your PC for a dual boot set-up.

Hey pitbull - you need to download the live iso and burn that to CD.

SUSE Linux Live is the one that is bootable from CD.

The other ones you will need to load to a seperate partition and set up your PC for a dual boot set-up.

i gotta download this one than right "SUSE LINUX - SuSE 9.1 live-eval"?

i gotta download this one than right "SUSE LINUX - SuSE 9.1 live-eval"?

That is correct.

This will give you a good taste of Linux without having to load it to your hard disk.

All you do is stick it in your cd drive and re-boot (assuming that your BIOS is set to boot to the cd rom before the hard disk).

It is not the full blown SUSE Linux OS, but it is hard to tell the difference.

Try Live first, then if you like tinkering with it you can download full versions and load it to a spare PC or set your primary PC up to dual boot.

When you first read the article I would have done the same thing, I mean he was  probably in shock from the stupidness of the site. Whats sad is thats there are is probably someone out there that thinks that. I wonder if their kids are suicidal?

Also I never new Linux was made by soviets. does that mean we are all communists?