Motherboard Drivers

jakop92

First of all, i got a program called cpu-z to get model and brand of my mobo. http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php.

Im unshure how to do this process, therefore im here to ask some help. I got my pc 1-2 months ago, and i want to update mobo drivers. If they are as new as possible, I'll learn the process for later usage.

First of all will it affect anything computer wise (erase data, etc....)?

Here is my mobo.

Model: ASUSTeK Computer INC.

Model: PTGD2-VX

Chipset: Intel

Hope that is enough information. Here i have a screenshot of it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v69/shadowz/screenie.jpg

Any help appriciated. Thanks.

-----------------EDITED-------------------------------

Offtopic but is there any way to disable autoinstall of drivers for hardware?

Every time i try to disinstall a driver (say ati driver) and restart, it will automatically install some windows ati drivers before i can install the version i want..How can i stop this?

Well, the drivers on your mobo is called the BIOS. Upgrading your BIOS would involve flashing the new version from a floppy disc. I have heard of some adverse effects, but I can't recall exactly what those are. Give me a second, and I'll see about the latest BIOS version and some of the effects of upgrading.

-----------------EDITED-------------------------------

Offtopic but is there any way to disable autoinstall of drivers for hardware?

Every time i try to disinstall a driver (say ati driver) and restart, it will automatically install some windows ati drivers before i can install the version i want..How can i stop this?

You can't. I don't believe Windows automatically installs new drivers. It notices that there is hardware without drivers and starts the add new hardware wizard. All you have to do is keep cancelling it everytime it pops up until you get the ones you want installed.

Intel www.intel.com has a setup so that you can find the latest BIOS "flash" for your board, and then "flash" it (update it) with the latest. Sometimes this can be wonderful, other times you'll find yourself shopping for a new motherboard (or at least having a tech 'flash' it back to the old BIOS 'sets'. Which means using a 'redlight' (infrared) to wipe it out, then another expensive gadget to retrain the silly thing ...and even then its a shaky process at best.

I've been using nothing but Intel MBs for years and they all "flash" without incident. (But none of them are ever older than two years max ...so that helps). Rule of thumb is if the BIOS isn't friggin you up don't fix it, because what you gain is hardly worth the risk. In the case of Intel, the gains I was after was due to the fact that Intel discovered a whole new way to route the BIOS for efficiency, speed, etc ...so I "went for it." I didn't need a diskette either, I used a downloaded file right off the HDDs and that worked fine (and I held my breath for about 30 seconds as the "flash" routine did it's thing.

SO ...how lucky do ya feel? You don't have enough info posted for me to even tell if a flash is available for your kind of BIOS (Intel has only used a set number of BIOS 'sets' on all their boards ...except the 'el cheapo' ones of course.

Usually the model # CLEARLY SHOWN on the motherboard is all the info you need to find the right "flash" (if available) at the Intel site. And ...I would send an e-mail (be prepared to wait a week for a reply) before attempting the flash. (Many times they'll call you and talk ya through it to be sure their boards don't get a bad name)!

I pray this helps a bit...

I am half awake and just saw where you are using an intel CHIPSET on an ASUS (so please excuse my last post cuz I was thinking you were running "pure" Intel (sorry))...I strongly advise not touching the sucker unless intel tells you exactly how to go about it, or ASUS ...which is like pulling teeth. It is a good board no doubt, but when it comes to flashing "borrowed" chipsets, I am very leary of such things. (If it ain't broke, don't fix it)! That goes double if the model or part number (P/N) isn't "burned" into the board in a VERY conspicuous place. (usually it isn't and that translates as "Don't Touch Me!"

As far as your driver situation goes, you always have the option of replacing the drivers AFTER "whatever" gets installed. In XP you would go through the Control Panel, then System Applet, then Hardware, then find your hardware and locate the "update drivers" tab ..and the rest is easy.

There's a website www.driverguide.com (that you have to register to get into) that has millions of drivers and has been around about a decade now. I find drivers there that the companies that made them no longer have access to! So, if you don't have the drivers you want you'll likely find them there. If you do just REPLACE them once windows sticks in whatever Mr Bill decided was best for your machine ...even if it's wrong. lol...

danged Microsoft....Where Quality Is Just A Slogan.

Cheers!

You could have put those three posts in one, by editing the first one tho.

The title king is given at 30 posts, you'll get a new one at 50.

AFAIK the BIOS is rarely updated, althought my only proof is that the motherboard of two computer here only had one small update a few days after the release of the motherboard.

:roll:Sorry about the triplicate posts, yet I just NOW noticed how to avoid it! DUH!

Say, about the BIOS discussion that's over now ...My Intel boards on all four systems had updates to their chipsets days after we purchased them, so I was given the Green Flag to Flash by Intel ...hey! ...nothing to lose. Otherwise the flashing of any CHIPSET is asking for trouble IMHO. (I've lost three perfectly fine boards that-a-way).

Cheers