New Hard Drive

CaptainSauce

so my old hard drive crapped the bed and i baught a new one, seagate 300 gig 7200 rpm 8mb Serial ATA-150 and its my master, i got it all working reinstalled windows and its only showing me that i have 127 gigs left on my hard drive...and im more than sure windows system files only take up about 2 gigs worth... so where the heck is my other 270 gigs at?!?

and....also, i dont know what the situation with seagate drives is, but some maxtor drives have jumpers in the back that will allow you to use lets say a 3rd, half or full capacity of the hard drive....if the seagate drive has such a thing with jumpers, make sure it is set up correctly

you can access your bios by pressing the delete key as soon as you restart your computer and it starts booting up - sometimes it is the F10 key...try few different ones, but those are the ones most common - once you are in bios, look through some settings and make sure it is displaying your hard drive in the right size - if even bios doesnt recognize it as a 300 some gb hard drive, than you either have to re-flash the bios, or set up the jumpers on the hard drive (if any)

do you have the service packs installed.  There was some kind of glitch or something that windows xp had i heard about if you didn't have at least service pack 1 installed it would only show up with like 127gb.  maybe i don't know what i'm talking about but i thought i read that before.