No ping

lorne

I have been trying to ping my IP but it won't work same with tracert to testmy.net. I go start>run>command>tracert testmy.net but I get bad file or command.Same with pinging my IP I have used the same line of commands before and it worked, now I get bad command or file name :x Anybody got an idea what's going on :?:

I have been trying to ping my IP but it won't work same with tracert to testmy.net. I go start>run>command>tracert testmy.net but I get bad file or command.Same with pinging my IP I have used the same line of commands before and it worked' date=' now I get bad command or file name x Anybody got an idea what's going on ?[/quote']

lorne,

Try start,run,cmd,type ping(space)www.testmy.net return,also you may have to take down your firewall for a moment. Also the add. for the site is 69.56.184.110, you can type in other stuff and may still get a response but I know for sure that those 2 things will work.....

8) microwave

) lorne,

that is the way you test,essentially you send a noise(ping)down the pipe it goes to the address then is sent back.Hence ping time!Although that is simplistic thats basically the drill.From your PC to wherever and back

8) microwave

PS but to calc your rwin I use speedguides TCP-IP Analyzer and OPTIMizer TCP.there are many to choose from but be careful you will get different advise from each,DR>TCP,Cablenut etc.as always its up to you.I think ca3le guy will let this post?I dont want to advertise for competition!!

PPS If Im full of shit on any of this ca3le guy will fix it.

WEIRD :? After I'm connected for awhile my connection slows to a stop and i'm stuck where I'm at. When i ping my IP i get back unknown server or host. Do you know what thats all about :?:

sounds like you are being routed to some distant domain or server. Who is your IP again? do you know where your 1ST hop goes to? I use McAfee visual trace although there are freeware visual traces which makes it easy at lest for me.

8) microwave

Do you get free technical assistance from your ISP?

If so it really sounds like some BS is going on with them. I have had a problem with Cox.hsi (not very often)and they help by reseting the modem etc. from their test board.As a matter of fact they have pointed problems on my PC and told me what to do to fix it.No shit and it was free he he.Really the testers at cox in Nevada(when I call)are really helpful and kool.

) 8) microwave

Microwave 8)

Yeah I do get free technical assistance from my IP, But with this problem I phone when it happens and by the time i get through it's back to normal.So they tell me to phone back when it happens again and so on and so on.They are usually pretty cool though.Thanks for the help :D