Jump to content

Tax Refund?


Recommended Posts

A little off topic but....

Last year my aunt got a small 401K settlement from her divorce.

She cashed it in early and got charged $200 Federal income tax.

She assumed she could not get this back in a refund, so she neglected to file (she is on Social Security Supplemental Income SSI, no taxes). She did receive a 1099-R on it.

Recently someone told her she should have filed and got her return.

Is this possible considering her income source and if so how would a person do it, file a 1040 for last year even with it a year late?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well my Fededal Tax Refund was $3,945 - $115 (Online Tax Filling) = $3,830 and for my state tax (NJ) $876.

Total = $4,706

I tried first TurboTax but I didn't like very much, so I tried another tax company which was more expensive so I end up paying $115.00 instead of $35.00 to Turbo Tax.

I filed my state tax via New Jersey Tax Website Portal. At least this was free.

Joel  ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...