Celeron M VS Centrino M

TheLandScapper

I just bought a new notebook with a celeron M 1.6 ghz. i mean its not a power house but i bought it because of price and hardware. I'm realy tryin to get a decision goin vs the two processors because i realy dont know the difference. I looked up data on the two and they are pritty simular except for gaming performance. In this catagory the Centrino took a lead but not a conciderable lead (the data was between 1.6ghz celeron and 1.86ghz centrio on my Toshiba M55 Notebook). The thing is even thou my notebook was only 750(with $150 rebate even thou i only realy see rebates on the celeron) and the Centrino was 1150 no rebate. So is the 250-300$$ realy worth the Centrino up grade or was i better off gettin the Celeron? O and my Toshiba M55 1.6 with 2 gigs pc4200 ram  out performes my friends Dell  2.8ghz with 1.5 gigs pc3200 and the dell is brand new my Tosh is 3 months old with only 5 gigs remaining on the HD. So anybody have any input ?

Depends on what ya use it for, of course. I have Dell Inspiron 9300 a Pent. M 2.0 with 2 gigs 533 DDR2 a Nvidia 6800 with 256, 6 USB ports 1 firewire DVI, Analog, and S-Video out and a Intel 2915 wifi card.

I can play Battlefield 2 with all video setting at High @ 1600x1200 res and Antialiasing at x4 and it is flawless.

As to your calims of out performing your friends DELL what benchmark are you using?  I personally will never get anything such as a Celeron or Sempron. I also am a heavy gamer and occasionally edit video. I believe the Celeron M is just a mobile version of the Celeron CPU which will have speed step technology and allow better battery time and less heat production. Chances are that you'll never get a Celeron or Sempron based system from a proprietory manufacturer with a good independant Video Card

The new Dell Inspiron 9400 also under the 9300 section on there site now has a duel core processor and SATA HDD and a 7800 Video Card