Have Comcast come out?

asubaseball727

Well I called Comcast, and they said that they would have to send a tech out to look at the signal. But then they run the crap about a 50$ fee if its not their problem, so judging from what I've posted do you think it IS their problem? Or is there a way I could test the signal? He was telling me how theire "High tech tools" would only be able to do the job.

I have discussed this seemingly unresolvable issue in these topics:

This is the most recent link: http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=11306.msg112073#msg112073

Also, http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=11134.msg111849#msg111849

Finally, http://www.testmy.net/forum/index.php?topic=10174.new#new

those are my problems.

Thanks for input.

Frequency 711000000 Hz  AT LEAST

Signal to Noise Ratio MORE THAN 30 BUT UNDER 40

Power Level 3 dBmV  BUT NOT OVER 5dBmv

Thats what you should have to get a good signal.. if not thats there problem not urs

Actually the downstream range in the Docsis protocol can be anywhere from 88-860MHz.

The ISP can pick and choose in that range.

You are correct on the SNR - about 29dB minimum in 64QAM and 32 minimum in 256QAM modulation.

The operational range is technically -10dBmV to +10dBmV. (-5 to +5dB would give you better overhead all the way around).

asubaseball727, are you going to post your levels from the diagnostic page?

Downstream  Value

Frequency 705000000 Hz Locked 

Signal to Noise Ratio 32 dB

QAM 256

Network Access Control Object ON

Power Level -11 dBmV 

The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value

Channel ID 7

Frequency 32000000 Hz Ranged

Ranging Service ID 597

Symbol Rate 3.200 Msym/s

Power Level 49 dBmV

Signal to Noise Ratio MORE THAN 30 BUT UNDER 40

Power Level 3 dBmV  BUT NOT OVER 5dBmv

Both those are different. So it is their problem?

Your downstream level is on the low side (-11dBmV) although this isn't always a problem.

An increase in downstream power would most likely give you a better SNR (which is at the minimum level now).

How many splitters and what type(2 way, 3way, etc.) do you have between the pole or box outside and your cable modem in the house?

I have no clue. If you can describe it a little more ill go and take a look.

Thanks

Below is an example of a 2, 3 and 4 way splitter. There is also an eight way. (most common types)

I am wondering what size and how many you have in line between the from the back of your home up to the back of the modem.

Each splitter port has a certain signal loss; the fewer splitters, the better.

You may have too many in line and a simple re-configuration of the splits may help you out.

ok, I'm pretty sure that there is a 2 way splitter, which then hooks up to a four way splitter. Are the cords for the internet the same as the cable TV cords? There are 4 TV's and 2 computers with cable.

Thanks, I hope this is the info you need.

That sounds correct. Yes the cable for the modem is the same as the TV cable.

Look at the attached (poorly made with MS Paint) diagram.

Is it wired similarly?

The 2-way should be first, then one leg feeds the modem and the other feeds the 4-way going to the TVs.

edit: updated diagram

It seems you have signal loss.. You need a good dedicated line to your cable modem, or a house Amplifier from comcast. Which they charge you about 50bucks for,, Comcast state in their Customer Agreement that They are only responsible for 4 sources on the user end... Which means after YOU connect more than 4 things to your cable line YOU NEED an amplifier.. which they are NOT entitled to just giving you... I mean i Have 2 Tv's and a cable modem on my line.. it seems you have 5 items on yours..

Well it depends, if it did any extra wiring in your house other than what they originally did then yes, it's YOUR problem then. But if it's outside your house they would have to fix it. Like I said if you have more than 4 items plugged to the cable line comming to your house, and they say you have signal loss. You WILL HAVE TO PAY for the amplifier...Or find one of your own..