Linux Firewall/Fileserver suggestions?

php

I'm looking to set up a PC with Linux.  I want to use it as a firewall, DHCP server, network file server, and maybe proxy, antivirus, and spam filter as well.

I have tried Smoothwall and IPCop... they both do good as a firewall, DHCP server, and proxy, but they're very minimal kernels and I can't get a network file server set up...

Does anyone have suggestions for which Linux distro to use and firewall, etc programs? (I'm plannning to use Samba for a file server and Apache for a web server)

Thanks ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes i recomend Samba for for the file server

not that i have tried or know much about it but i have heard from my house mate that it is the shit

let us know about it

php u think u could make a guide how to make a file server using linux and Samba  ??

i would be very intrested

found these googling it

Installing Samba on Linux for Windows disk sharing on an internal network card

http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp14admin/linux-server/samba/

i dont know much about linux but doesnt look too complicated

i've been using debian since it was first released, and i'd have to say debian is by far my favorite linux distro right now, and it will meet or exceed all of the above you want to accomplish. I'd say grab debian, and enjoy. the apt system in debian makes updating, and installing new software/programs a breeze you can even upgrade to a whole new debian distro via apt system. As far as a firewall goes just setup, and use IPTABLES for firewall rules never fails

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.en.html

With my debian setup i can use webmin or plesk as a GUI, and i have sshd enabled which is what i use for control primarly. I have 34 ips on my debian box, but have sshd blocked on all ips but 1. I found with all the ssh brute force attacks going on as of late on the net that having sshd enabled on as few ips as possible is a good thing. Also limit the users allowed to login under ssh for more security  :D

humm

i think i am going to stick with windows guy

sorry just too much to learn on linux and i dont have got the time nor the patiency

going to buy a few HD

i have bout the pci raid card

more 2 HD raid them and then win server 2003 or maybe win nt something like that

Linux is not very hard to learn, and if you install it on a home machine you have the advantage of gnome or KDE for desktop environments. I really shouldn't give examples of linux within a shell it always turns people away because it looks complex. I learned linux at a time when doing everything from the shell was (w00t) these days you can accomplish it all via a GUI also.

If you are installing it on a spare machine that's awesome, but if you are installing it on a pc you use alot just setup a dual boot system so you can boot into windows, or debian when you like. Also i would suggest installing webmin or some type of GUI to help you out along the way for those times when the shell seems to much for you especially if you are new to linux. You will have may questions feel free to ask away when you need help.

Here is how easy it was to install samba. I just installed it about 2 mins ago to show the ease of which it is done.

apt-get install samba

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... Done

Suggested packages:

samba-doc

The following NEW packages will be installed:

samba

0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 2552kB of archives.

After unpacking 6480kB of additional disk space will be used.

Get:1 ftp://debian.uchicago.edu stable/main samba 3.0.14a-3sarge1 [2552kB]

Fetched 2552kB in 6s (422kB/s)

Preconfiguring packages ...

Selecting previously deselected package samba.

(Reading database ... 80881 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking samba (from .../samba_3.0.14a-3sarge1_i386.deb) ...

Setting up samba (3.0.14a-3sarge1) ...

Starting Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.

You have new mail in /var/mail/root