Linux Firewall/Fileserver suggestions?

php

:angry5: well just fired up my athlon and nothing was showing up on my monitor, went over to restart it and started smelling something. Sure enough it toasted my ram so until I gotta get some more, too bad I just spent most of my money on my upgrade.

Edit: I just tried it with the ram im using in this computer and it still didnt work. Do you think I could've fried the motherboard too?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks about your ram... I had that happen to a PCI card once...

I ended up using the Bonzai distro, mainly because it's only a 180MB download (also virtually the same as Debian)

I'm getting it set up at the moment...

There are many GNU/Linux distributions (e.g., Fedora, SuSE, Debian, Mandriva, Gentoo), but Ubuntu distinguishes itself with clarity of focus, simplicity of installation and use, and a development approach that is both transparent and welcoming.

By default, Ubuntu includes a core selection of the best desktop software for typical desktop users. Almost everything else, the entire free software universe of applications, is available over the Internet for easy installation directly onto this basic desktop environment. Our package management uses the powerful "APT" package management system, which allows easy installation and clean removal of programs, as well as automatic download of any extra packages required. Ubuntu's core list of officially supported software packages is reduced to only the important applications. This allows for greater quality control. For advanced users, the "Universe" and "Multiverse" archives provide instant access to more applications that are maintained and supported by the Ubuntu community.

By focusing on quality, Ubuntu produces a robust and feature rich computing environment that is flexible for use in home and commercial environments. The project has more time to spend on the finer details and is able to release a version featuring the latest and greatest versions of the most popular free software every six months. Ubuntu supports the PC (Intel Pentium, AMD Athlon, and IBM-compatible PCs), 64-bit PC (AMD64, Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Intel Xeon) and PowerPC (Apple iBook, Powerbook, G3, G4 and G5) architectures.

Well I have ubuntu up and running and must say I really like, linux has gotten alot better since last when tried it out. Im trying to use apt to install samba but im not sure if I am doing it right. I tried opening it and searching for samba but it doesnt seem to come up, the closest thing I saw was smb4k, is this what I want to install for the fileserver?