NVCR32.exe what is it?

ArcticWolf

I tried Google and could find nothing on it, but it tried to send info out from my computer,but I blocked it with my firewall...but it tried to send info every 5 seconds. It even says it's a 3rd party cookie trying to change something in one of my files. Any idea or help appreciated. BTW running Win XP Pro sp1

See every 5 minutes or so I get this message from my firewall

Critical system object was changed.This may be a result of spyware activity. Outpost Firewall Pro Anti-Spyware can resotre the object to it's original default value.

Location Internet Explorer Third-Party Cookies

But when I choose to resotre it, it comes back about 5 minutes later.

Nobody knows what this is?? I can tell You the file is located in my Windowsprefectch directory and it keep trying to send info out on every port # ....ex:4080...4081...4082....etc. I checked the microsoft web site and found nothing on it... so is it safe to delete?

If it's in the Prefetch directory, it must be something that you installed, or "contracted" from the internet.  Try running the file through command line and see if it has any options.  like C:NVCR32.exe /? or something like that.  It may be a legit service, then again it may be spyware.  I hate restore points, when Im running virus scans or spyware scans on our employee's computers when they have a problem, a lot of spyware programs put exe files in the restore point directories.

You could try a netstat -a command and see if it tells you where it is connecting to, and then try to find out who that ip address belongs to.

You could try a netstat -a command and see if it tells you where it is connecting to, and then try to find out who that ip address belongs to.

try netstat -ano.  This allows you to correlate the IP address and port to the process by the PID.  Just make PID visible in the task manager and you're game.