Different Internet Connections

Danny_Boy_69

Noob, yes just like most of us were when we started Lol. Cable, DSL preferred if you can get it. If you are like me, 5 miles from civilization, choices are Dial up(grandma speed) then tried satellite(cruise the Direcway forum for an earful of paying for it by only other choice)with a 15 month contract), orT-1 (high enough in payments to buy a new car). ;) ;)

Read a lot of info in your forum or others and you can learn about computers and different types of services. If you have Cable definitely stick with and be greatly you have it. Or DSL. These guys have plenty of knowledge to give, just ask and you should get an answer. If someone doesn't get back in a couple of days try again in a different section. ;) ;) ;)

Nice connection, should receive an answer by the next time you get on line tomorrow. A lot of the more intelligent fellows will answer it by then. I am just an older net surfer looking to help those within my knowledge. Sounds like you want someone with more experience. Just be patient and they will answer. In the meantime have a soda and read the forums and post some silly stuff. If no answer by tomorrow when you get on try adding another post below your present one, and that keeps it at the top of the stack. Also welcome to the forum, pardon my manners. ;)

Yea so i was just wondering what are all the advantages and disadvantage of all the internet connections available........

Satellite- if you live in the country where nothing is available.  You get 55,000 miles of lag per transmission and it is effected by just about everything(weather, solar events, wind)

Cable- This is the most popular option right now..  Advantages: Fast speeds for cheap.  Disadvantages: You share you connection with your neighbors. So if someone was downloading movies they are going to take potential bandwidth that could be used.

Ethernet  (sure i have cable that plugs in by ETHERNET) - This is for normally used if you are located near a sonnet ring.. I know that you can get this in Indianapolis, IN.  Normally it is used for business that requires 100Mbps/1Gbps connections.

ADSL- Allows for one transmission speed to be faster than the other..  It is like cable in the way that they make their plan.. like 3000/256..  One will be higher than the other.. The disadvantage is that it is over copper from the teleco..  So you are going to have to be with in a distance of the CO... Otherwise you are out of luck.  Also interference and line noise can drastically reduce the speed of the line overall.

DSL-  Same as above.

ISDN- This is old school before all of the newer broadband options came out.. You have 2x64Kbps channels.  You can either upload/download on one channel making the total bandwidth 128Kbps. or use the channels independently so one for upload and one for download.  There is also a signaling channel that control stuff for the telco that runs at 16kbit/s.. Removes the signaling from the physical channels something that T1 doesnt do. 

T-1 - This is the basic office type connection.. It consists of 24 ds-0 channels.. each channel is 64kbit/s so 24*64= 1.536Mbps which is the usable speed!  1.544 speed has the framing bit per channel included bring the speed to 1.544.  Again the max that you can get is 1.536Mbps.. This is delivered via copper or fiber to the location.  Since it is basically 24 phone lines make into one huge connection you can get frac-T1 and just get a selection of those line activated.  Even though you do frac-T1 the entire connection is delivered.. North America standard is DS-1/T1 at 1.544Mbps Europe and the rest of the world have E-1 which is 2.048Mbps

T-3-  This standard for the data center of if you have enough traffic to plug up a 45Mbps line.  The actual speed is 44.736Mbps.. It is called DS-3/T-3.. and is normally delivered via coax.. Normally you have to have a sonic ring near by...  This means that you pretty much have the sonic ring run into the building and then you just place your traffic on to the ring.  Europe is E3 at 34.368mpbs.

Hope that helps..