desktop refresh rate

Ryan314

what graphics card do you have?  I have the 6800GS PCIe, and have all the details maxed and play for hours with no problems! :) 

First thing first, update your drivers from the nvidia site, not some beta crap from a search on google!  Also make sure if you dont have a higher end video card that you turn the resolution down to say 1024x768 at the highest, also if that doesn't help you may want to run a program that tells you the internal temp, of the computer right AFTER the game crashes, that may give you some idea as to why you are having problems, if nothing else it will tell you if its heat related or not

After 4 years in the military and over 14 years as a gamer, heat is your BIGGEST problem!  I have 5 case fans running in my tower (2x rear, 2x front, 1x side) I have an AMD 3700+, 6800GS 256MB, 1GB Ram and close to 700GB hard drive space, and an old samsung monitor, its great to bad its big and heavy.  I dont have a problem running anything but F.E.A.R, that games sucks the life out of almost anything!

first off lets try somethings to get this fixed, in the game change your resolution to say 800x600, that should be a very easy resolution for that card to handle, if not try 640x480, i know it will be big, but at these settings I can ASSURE you that it shouldn't over heat.  Also check the details and such, make sure you aren't playing them maxxed out, because that card wont handle it very well at all, it might play it for a while but you will have an overheating problem and it would be choppy to boot.  Make sure you have proper air flow, check to make sure your IDE/Sata cables aren't blocking the airflow from the case fans.  At home on my gaming machine, I have to blow it out bi-weekly :)  we have a cat and it sheds that hair everywhere.  We have 5 case fans and you can't hear the computer running, if you want when I get home I will post the name and model #'s of my fans, nice air flow,quite, and no temp problems at all.  Get some of that air dust stuff and blow the entire inside of your case out, including the heat sink/fan and all case fans should be wiped off with a damp paper towel, besure to DRY THEM either with a dry paper towel or a blow dryer, you dont want that water to get slung onto the motherboard, that wouldn't be a pretty site, and other dust that is in there should be wiped out with a dry paper towel or just blown out with the air dust ($4.99 at walmart).  Dust is your #1 enemy and will kill a CPU in a hurry.  Also make sure you haven't over clocked it, as sometimes overclocking can lead to heat and instability issues, not to mention it voids your warranty on your CPU.  Now with all that said, if you turn the details down to 640x480 or 800x600 and everything works fine, then still blow the dust out and make sure of the cables being tied down and out of the way to give you a neat looking case.  Then you should be done, and finish up your little project by running defrag on your harddrive as it never hurts (however i wont use the windows defrag, use O&O Defrag).

I know you have heard this before also if you want to make sure its not a heat related problem get a desktop fan and take the side cover off or just crack it a little, and let that fan blow some real air in there! :)  if nothing seems to work let us know, and someone here will be GLAD to help you!

Thanks for the suggestions, my settings on bf2 are all minimal.. which even if they werent wouldnt be the prob because when i got bf2 i ran at all medium settings very very smoothe..

my comp is dust free for the most part.. i blow it out regularly..

my next step is to buy another fan or two

thanks again