Netgear Wireless cascaded off D-Link DI-604

news_watch

Guys and Gals,

Just found this site, and I think y'all mihgt be able to help me out.

I'm trying to hook up a Netgear MR814v2 wireless to the Verizon router they supplied (DI-604).

Something is bugged up and I'm unable to figure it out.

I'm just knowledgable enough to screw something up, and get directions to find my way out.

The tech stated all I had to do was hook the thing up and do a hard reset and everything would see and talk to each other.

The wireless router indicates it is seeing the internet and the switch is assigning an IP to the wireless, it would seem. The laptop is seeing the wireless router, but I can't get out to the internet.

I have also tried settign up a static IP on the wireless, and fiddled with some other settings but to no avail.

Any recommendations?

I'm sure it something simple I'm overlooking, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

(not a network wiz at all).

thanks,

nw

I am not sure exactly what your problem is, but I can tell you what I am doing.  I am using the DI-604, and a linksys wireless behind it, but it should work just the same with a netgear.  In my setup, you have a double NAT configuration.  If you don't want to do that, then the following information will not be of much use.

First, you must login to the dlink router.  The dlink operates in the 192.168.0.x range.  Once logged in, assign a static ip to the netgear router, i.e. enter the netgear's mac address, and give it a 192.168.0.whatever address.  Once done, remember that address and goto the DMZ section of the dlink and add the address you assigned into the DMZ.  Basically, what this does, is allow all information to be passed to the netgear router, and let the netgear handle the firewall / SPI duties.  The dlink should be using PPPoE to connect to the Verizon FIOS internet (WAN), that is no problem.  Make sure the DLink is set to DHCP for the LAN side.  At this point, you have the WAN port of the DI604 connected to the home run from verizon's setup (going to the ONT).

Now, plug a cable in from the WAN port of the netgear into port 1 of the DI-604.  Then connect a computer to the netgear (wired or wireless), and log into the netgear router.  Inside there, setup all the normal features / security you would want if it was the only router connected to the internet, but use a different subnet, so instead of 192.168.0.x use say 192.168.1.x range, and make both the WAN and the LAN use DHCP.

That should be it.  You should now be able to connect any computer either plugged into ports 1-4 on the netgear, or wirelessly, and you should be able to access the internet.  If you have any other questions, feel free to post.  Good luck, and let me know how it goes.

SuperG03

SuperG,

I could not get that approach to work.

I found out that going out on a LAN port on the D-Link and coming in on a LAN port on the Netgear worked the Netgear as a switch. I did a fixed IP on the wireless, and turned off the DHCP.

Seems to be working OK , both the remaining 3 ports and the wireless.

Thanks,

nw