Need help with a Windows XP Pro problem!!

dman58

Over the last couple weeks I've had a problem to happen twice to me when logging on to Windows XP Pro.  When I type in my password it rejects it. After several attempts it lets me log onto windows but my User Acct is missing.  I can go back to a previous restore point & things are ok.  About a week or so after the 1st time it did it again.  I rebooted the computer & it took me into windows but again, my User Acct was missing.  I went back to restore point again & all was well.  What is causing this??  I've run virus scans; I've run spyware scans with nothing being found.  Is this virus related or program related or something I'm just doing wrong??

Has anyone got any help???

I am thinking that your computer is hijacked.. Cause after the system restore you have it working... then you are having problems again..  I would boot into safe mode and run a virus scan... otherwise reformat.. that is the only true way of fixing it that I know of.. I have never even heard of that type of problem.

Guest rikk19692003

you need to check for open ports on your pc win xp has alot of them or get a program like black ice defender to monitor your ports for outside attacts

Over the last couple weeks I've had a problem to happen twice to me when logging on to Windows XP Pro.  When I type in my password it rejects it. After several attempts it lets me log onto windows but my User Acct is missing.  I can go back to a previous restore point & things are ok.  About a week or so after the 1st time it did it again.  I rebooted the computer & it took me into windows but again, my User Acct was missing.  I went back to restore point again & all was well.  What is causing this??  I've run virus scans; I've run spyware scans with nothing being found.  Is this virus related or program related or something I'm just doing wrong??

Has anyone got any help???

are you the only one with a user account on that machine....if so might try this...

right click my computer...then properties....then advanced tab....the middle section says user profiles..desktop settings related to your login...click the settings button...

delete all accounts except the one that you want to use

Mine is the only User Acct on the computer.  This has truly got me baffled.  I had someone to suggest to me to let the computer boot off the XP Pro CD and try to do a repair.  Would that get rid of all the updates the have been downloaded since installation or would it just attempt to repair any problems?

I just recently installed the new PC-cillin 2006 Security Suite.  I didn't have the problem till after installation.  The first one came the day after installation.  I'm beginning to think I may need a different program. 

i use to use pccillon maybe 18 months ago & never had a prob like that....but i am sure all the user setting have changed a lot since then.....did you look in that computer properties section

i spoke about in prior post....one time after i did a reformat i had the desktop etc set up the way

i wanted & everytime i rebooted it automatically go back to the default windows settings....i finally stumbled upon that & it had a default user acct in there...i deleted that & that fixed it

I checked to be sure & was right; the Guest acct was already turned off.  Got another question...you said you used to use PC-Cillin...what do you use now?  I'm getting a little leary of the program.  I've done a couple online scans for viruses along with PC-Cillin.  Symantec didn't find anything.  Went to Bit Defender & it found a backdoor trojan called Trojan.Click.337 & removed it.  Just wondered what program you use.  I've also looked at Zone Alarm too.