Got My Fios TV Today!!

FiosFiend

Well I got my install for fios TV today.  It wasn't as cut and dry an install as I thought it would be but it's well worth it.  I never considered that the picture would be better then comcast.  I just assumed it would be about the same.  I immediately saw a noticeable difference in picture quality as soon as he had the boxes up and running, especially on the digital channels.  One thing that seemed a little odd, they have to install a small box that plugs into one port on your router then they have to do a firmware update on your router.  The tech told me that the box was used to transmit VOD and PPV requests.  Since I didn't have a Verizon router (I used my own wireless D-Link) the tech gave me a new Verizon D-Link wireless router for free!  I had a DI-524 and he gave me a new DI-624.  No complaint from me but it might be something to consider for those thinking about getting fios TV.

The DVR is great, it has 160 hours of record time which, if I'm not mistaken, is twice what Comcast and Direct TV have.  I also like the guide much better then Comcast.  I had a great time calling up Comcast and cancelling their outrageously expensive service. :haha:

Yeah fios has been great!  The other upside to the fios TV is that it's such a new service that all the equipment is brand new.  When I got Comcast years ago they showed up with obviously used equipment.  I've had to have both of my boxes with them replaced twice.  I'm sure at some point in the future Fios will probably be recycling boxes but right now it's great to see them pulling new stuff right out of the box!

How'd your install go?

It took longer then I thought it would, about 3 hours.  However, the guy that did the install was very good and very knowledgeable.  I don't have a very complicated set up, just two TV's with few components.  The tech had to install something on the splitter in my attic and had to do some work outside with the ONT connection.  Other then that it was just a matter of getting the boxes up and running.

It took longer then I thought it would, about 3 hours.  However, the guy that did the install was very good and very knowledgeable.  I don't have a very complicated set up, just two TV's with few components.  The tech had to install something on the splitter in my attic and had to do some work outside with the ONT connection.  Other then that it was just a matter of getting the boxes up and running.

I have a fairly complex setup and 4 TV's 2 of which are HD. The new TV's are trying to compete with the av units for complexity. Anyway the installers could not get the picture up so I had to help them with that. I guess what surprised me the most is when one of them said S video cable gave the best picture in HD. I stuck close to them after that. I have 2 boxes tied into my router..a switch and a network interface module. I am very happy with the channel menu and the DVR's. Recorded the SB in HD..it played back great.

What are you paying a month for your tv and what channels and extras do you get?

I got the expanded basic plus the movie package that includes Starz, Encore, TMC, SHOWTIME, and several others like Flix, Sundance, etc.  The movie package was $11.95 and the expanded basic was $34.95.  I also got one DVR and one standard box.  The DVR is $12.95 a month and the basic box is $3.00.  All together my service is around $67.00 a month.  Compare that to what I had with Comcrap, same thing but no DVR and I was paying over $80.00 a month. 

There is no comparison.  I called Comcast just to see if they could give me a better deal before I switched.  They said "no" and I said "see ya later".  I was also having allot of problems with Comcast on the higher channels with pixelation.  I know that this is often a problem with cables and connections but it was happening all the time.  I see non of that with fios and the tech said that I won't.

I wouldn't need the DVR however it would be handy to have!  So all in all without the DVR I would be looking at after tax $55 + fios which is faster than my roadrunner I'd be looking at less than $100, which I pay for standard/basic cable (NOT DIGITAL), Road Runner Premium (8mb/512kb) @ $123/month!  I'm getting the shaft, I would be paying less for all that with FIOS

I WANT FIOS IN NC!!!  any clue when its coming to the RTP/Raleigh/Durham Area, I know there is MCI/Verizon Fiber poles (those little orange things marking where the fiber is), but no commercials yet :(

No S%#! , I'm currently paying just over $100 for Fios 15/2 service plus the Fios TV with expanded basic, DVR, Starz, Showtime, TMC, Encore, etc. It's a great deal.

What? No phone to go with that?

Asdf imo, asdf indeed.

Edit: But that's a good deal I guess considering what you were paying before.

I hope you enjoy it for as long as you can before Verizon somehow screws it up!

At least when I had their DSL they cheaped us out with that 1.5 meg crap, I

wanted 3 megs. :(

What? No phone to go with that?

Asdf imo, asdf indeed.

Edit: But that's a good deal I guess considering what you were paying before.

I hope you enjoy it for as long as you can before Verizon somehow screws it up!

At least when I had their DSL they cheaped us out with that 1.5 meg crap, I

wanted 3 megs. :(

No need to worry, this is Fios, things are only gonna get better. I want fios !!

They are lying FIOS cables in my complex as I type this.  Even stopped and asked the guy laying the cable just to be sure.  Anyone know how log it takes from beginning of cables to when service is actually working?  Just an estimate would be nice.  I'm giddy like a little school girl over this.  lol

They are lying FIOS cables in my complex as I type this.  Even stopped and asked the guy laying the cable just to be sure.  Anyone know how log it takes from beginning of cables to when service is actually working?  Just an estimate would be nice.  I'm giddy like a little school girl over this.  lol

It was about 3 months from the time the digging started to when I got the offer to subscribe to fios service.  Hang in there it won't be long. ;)

:D  oh Goody goody.....  lol  FIOS.....  :evil6:

Prepare yourself for blazing speed. :evil1:

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 15511 Kbps about 15.5 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1893 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (server2)

Test Time:: Sun Feb 12 2006 11:41:31 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time)

Bottom Line:: 277X faster than 56K 1MB download in 0.54 sec

Diagnosis: Awesome! 20% + : 229.46 % faster than the average for host (verizon.net)

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-TKWQJXMNE