ok this really pissed me off

dlewis23

I was using my computer and i smelled smoke, i look over to my left at my computer and it is filled up with smoke, i run unplug it as quick as i can, i open up the case and see this

P0003724_thumb.jpg

P0003725_thumb.jpg

Click to make the pictures bigger

my power supply should have shut off but it did't because some one did not put a auto shut off when there is a short. because of this i lost my video card.

but at least i had a BFG crad, so they are going to ship me a knew one.

the short melted the wire and the video card power connector.

My deepest condolences, sometimes no matter how careful you are it seems theres always something that can go wrong with your computer. I fried a whole mobo and 512mb of ram in one night in a freak accident. Anyways what type of power supply was it? proprietary?

Makes me never want to leave on my computer when I sleep or leave the house again.

Wow is that ever freaky, I dont use it anymore but I have an antec 480watt.

I know antec, they make the best power supplys its just odd why the did not put a switch in it to turn it off then a short happens. I can still use the powersupply, nothing shorted in side it,ive opened ad checked it. and did a wattage test on it and took it to 700 watts with no problem. i think there was too much current flowing through the thin wires. 20 amps mught bee a little too much.

Why/how was that connected to your video card?  I would contact antec about that problem! that shouldnt have happened!

no it shouldnt have happened, i called antec and they are going to send me a new power supply one of these http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=28550

that connector was connected to the special 6pin nvidia connector along with another 12v connector, but the second connector is fine. it was just that little 6in section.