Mcafee virus program slowing my speed down.

sst45jeff

Has anybody tested there speed with the Mcafee virus program on and off. when i test with it on my download speed is stuck at 4.6mb and when i turn it off it goes up to 5.6 - 6 Mb.

I am on Comcast  8800/1000 plan with Mcaffe virus scan and firewall. The firewall does not seem to effect the download speed.

Anobody have any ideas or sugestions.

I am a software tech. Mcafee is a resource hog, with a limited number of virus definitions. Norton 2004-2006 isn't much better (lotsa bugs!). I install Norton "2003"

on ALL my clients computers (cheap, small footprint & rave reviews).

I also recommend Sygate Personal Firewall ver "5.5" (not 5.6, which is BUGGY!)- fast and secure (does not hide IP)! The free SPF ver 5.5 build 2637 is nowhere to be had (I saved a copy!)? I suspect Sygate is responsible for this!- They will sell you the 5.5 PRO version though (worth it!)!

Mcafee is scanning the test file you download which determines how fast your connection this slows down how fast the file can be loaded causing you results to be slower than with mcafee disabling and not scanning the file.

So does this effect the browsing speed all the time. it seems like it does.

What is the best anti virus to use to combat this?

• 6 months later...

Well, I run McAfee all the time and see no slow-down in speeds with 9375k B/s   :)

::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 9375 Kbps about 9.38 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1144 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Server 2)

Test Time:: 2006/08/31 - 1:03pm

Bottom Line:: 163X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.9 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 10.625 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 70.61 % faster than the average for host (Comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-5K2XVI36B

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)

Modified:  Just to clarify I only use the Virus Scan feature of McAfee (set for auto updates), all other features are not installed.  I also use Sygate Personnel Firewall and have the Win XP firewall disabled.

If you want  Sygate 5.5,    it is here = http://www.oldversion.com/

+ a lot more golden oldies

5.5 ver 2710 was the last of the 5.5 firewall ,

I fully agree with scottis, that 5.6 is buggy, it brought 2 of my puters to a standstill  :angry5:

Sygate 5.5 -AVG -Ewido -Ad-aware-spybot s&d - spyware blaster -CCleaner -foxit reader = Bliss for me  :) and they are all free,

What everyone else has said is excellent info.  Also, as one member said, McAfee is a resource hog, and lower resources limits your computer's ability to process information (such as downloaded information).  A connection is only as fast as your computer.  I used to use McAfee, now I use Adaware and Windows Defender - they scan for viruses AND spyware, and don't run all the time.  I run them every night at 3 AM.  This saves system resources, and my connection no longer suffers (as it used to).