Dial-Up Modem Hardware Failure Help

wyantm06

Yeah I recently installed Windows XP Pro onto a friends computer and now she says that she got the disc to connect to her local Dial-Up service and when she tries to connect it says hardware failure. Does anyone know what this is about? Anyway I can help her fix it?

well seeing as there are like 10 different drivers for the 2350 you are going to need to check and see which one works..  I would start with Broadcom V.92 Soft Modem (Data Fax).. I think that is what is shipping in the current models..

Otherwise see if you can find out who made the modem.. that would help.

if you installed the drivers on the disk that came with the computer then you should be fine.. if it is still giving her problems.. then have her look in the drive manager and see what the modem is called.. then download the latest drivers..

did she point it to the drivers or is she allowing windows to install oem drivers?  if she downloaded the latest ones.. then she can do a update drivers.. and point to the folder that has the latest driver.. restart and see what happens..

wyantm06:  First was she connecting before the XP Pro install?

2.Why is she connecting from a disk instead of the dial-up connectoid?

3.Have her connect a telephone to the wall jack to verify the phone line is working& check it with the phone cable the is plugged into the internal modem.

4. If possible have her check to see if the modem is well seated in its socket.If shes technecally challenged better not have her do this .

5.In the device manager remove the modem or modems & the network adapters.Then reboot & let Windows install them again.Since the DELL drivers have been installed it should detect the modem & Dial-up adapter . And install the best one it detects.

6.Do you know the com port the modem is using?There could be an interupt conflict So you may have to change the interupt usually easiest to move the modem to another slot.

Worst case something fried the modem Internal modems are pretty cheap so maybe a new modem it should have its own driver disk.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

you Should go in the Modem Properties than slect troubleshoot and check out weather is it ok or not  :idiot2:

...I fixed the issue 5 months ago...thx for ur help tho

edit:grammar...please watch how u speak to other members that try to help...it doesn't matter how old a thread is...someone else might have the same problem and need an answer...rudeness and a sharp tongue will NOT be tolerated here in the tmn forum...

thank you sachin19_84 for ur help