Getting A New Computer...Is This One Good?

wyantm06

Hello I am planning on getting a cheap PC for a graduation present and was definatley thinking http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=DE310RF2&s=dhs It says it has a DVD Burner, 160 Gig Hard Drive, 17 inch Flat Panel Monitor and Windows Media Center 2005. Is that a good deal for that? Btw is this to good to be true or is that what I my parents will actually be paying? I hope this is a good deal, I really want this for a graduation project. But only if all that stuff is true.

Maybe it's just me, but aren't those upgrade prices RIDICULOUS? I mean $110.00 dollars for an upgrade to DataSafe 160GB (Includes main hard drive plus a hidden reserve hard drive) [add $110 or $3/month2  ALL THAT IS, IS A PARTITION ON THE DRIVE... Thats not an extra drive! Do they think people are that stupid? Though WE know We would never buy a system short of building our own.

What's a optical mouse? It's not included. Oh and what should I do for Word. It doesn't have it, plus it doesn't have no Virus or Spyware protection. Is there a way to get those free? I don't think I can go over that $579 now since I already told them it was that price.

What's a optical mouse? It's not included. Oh and what should I do for Word. It doesn't have it, plus it doesn't have no Virus or Spyware protection. Is there a way to get those free? I don't think I can go over that $579 now since I already told them it was that price.

Anyone?

They supposevely have better precision than the traditional ball mouse

Ok I will upgrade to optical then. I need to go wireless with this computer. So will this work Dell Wireless; 1450 WLAN (802.11a/b/g) USB 2.0 DT Adapter? I can get it as a $50 add-on. Hopefully it gets good signal with my LinkSys Router.

EDIT: I don't know how many USB ports are on this computer. Where will I plug the Wireless thing into?

Ok I will upgrade to optical then. I need to go wireless with this computer. So will this work Dell Wireless; 1450 WLAN (802.11a/b/g) USB 2.0 DT Adapter? I can get it as a $50 add-on. Hopefully it gets good signal with my LinkSys Router.

EDIT: I don't know how many USB ports are on this computer. Where will I plug the Wireless thing into?

yes i am sure there will be enough usb ports,  that usb adpater seems fine to me.  Its a netgear rite?

You need to know what you'll do with the computer for the next 2.5 years before you buy.If you really want a good deal you'll build your own or get generic from tiger direct, called systemax. Its what people in the know use as their home machine. Mag writers only bragg on sponcers, sigh. If you do get the dell you'll need a gig of ram to really run media center. A oem software cd will help cause you'll need to reload media center to remove all dells spyware and adware before you can even run the computer and thats just the start of it. It would take me 3 hours to tell all you want to know so good night.

As DEVEN said you will need to clean it. When I bought my wifes Dell Inspiron 1200 laptop (for work of course) It was loaded with a ton of programs and junk we would never use. AOL, Yahoo, MAN, etc. Also check all of the programs it comes with to see if they are trial programs or the full program unless you wana try them out.

Uninstall everything you don't need or use, clean up your disk, Defragment your HD. I did all this before even hooking up to the internet. I then used a disk i had created before hand with Ad-Aware, HiJackThis!!, AVG-Antivirus(free), CWShredder, Spybot S&D, Microsoft AntiSpy Ware, McAfee Stinger, and F Secure Blacklight.

I deleted the trial Symantec Anti Virus. I then installed the AVG Free antivirus. After everthing was cleaned up and set up I make sure Windows firewall is on and as well as adjusting the internet settings. Advanced settings as well. Also turn of Windows Messenger  or stop it from running in Admin.

Connect to the internet and do a windows update. Restart and install Firefox and Thunderbird. But you may or may not like them.

I reccomend Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security Suite. Or you could go with the symantec. Trend Micro is easier to work with. There are a lot of others out there. So I installed one of those.

When setting up the wireless router I like to make sure my wife laptop is the only other computer that can get on the line.

If you can choose Wi-Fi Protected Access2 (WPA2)

Also get the 2Gig upgrade.