roadrunner has plans to increase speed no charge

I heard road runner is increasing its standard package to 10MB dl 1MB UL at no additional charge to compete with fios they are soon to advertise they are doubling the speed. I think its about time b/c when I increased my speed to the premium package they just changed the settings in the modem and thats it I felt I was already paying for that service being they cannot regulate the signal to my residence only change the locked settings on the modem and was wondering if I bought my own modem could I make these changes and increase my speed being the cost of my digital package jumped from 75.00mo to 160.00mo and need the increase to host games on xbox..............Thanks, Da Wrench

Usually your isp will cap your modem at their end not yours - The brighthouse tech recently advised there was no way to regulate the signal except by    changing the configuration in the modem and thats why the modem is locked. He advised the signal is split at the ped close to my residence which also supplies 7 of my neighbors and the isp does not have a straight line in which they could increase the signal.

Did you read an article about this? Who did you hear this from? - their parent news company baynews 9 is advertising the speed will double at no additonal charge

okay i called time warner / brighthouse and they confirmed the speeds will increase for regular service to 7mb dl and 1mb ul.... i forgot  to ask the date this would change but its good news to me because i am already running 6mb dl but my upload is poor 30 kb 1/2 mb or less.......... so its has been confirmed

brock o1 private  message where you live at

it first says 10mb, now your saying 7mb? what one do ya mean

why dont you call the time warner office in your area and they would be glad to give you all the details right now i have standard service and get 6mb dl and 1/2 mb ul if you look at my post when i called they advised the regular service would  increase to 7mb dl and 512kbps = 1mb ul ..........i just spoke with a tech who was working on my neighbors service and he advised there were alot of changes coming and he was not sure exactly what changes were being made but he was going to a meeting today that would advise their staff exactly what was going to change and when.....but im sure the increase will be different according to where u live b/c some areas do not have fiber optics in which my area does thats why i have 6mb dl where most people do not get over 5mb with their standard service but the post was to advise time warner was increasing speeds at no additional charge but u need tocall your local office for specs in your area.............da wrench

Hey, I live in central florida, and can testify to the fact that Road runner is upgrading, in my area, its standard package, at no extra charge.  From 5 Mbps down, and 384 Kbps, to 7 Mbps, and 512 Kbps....  They also lowered the price of the premium service of 10 Mbps (upgraded from 8Mbps) to 59.95.....     

NOTE: These are prices and changes for the central florida area... through bright house networks.

• 1 month later...

dawrench - to put your earlier question to rest, the bandwidth allocated to your modem is conrolled by a bin file that is running on your modem as part of its firmware. the type of bin you have is controlled by the billing system in their office. so essentially if you want to use more bandwidth than most other people, youll have to pay more than most other people.

• 1 month later...