A Gaming Issue

Billy The Mountain RAR

I guess this is the right forum to post this.

I am trying to host a Call Of Duty server on my home connection but I am running into a brick wall.

I feel it is something coded into the game itself to not allow people to host from home so as to have to go to a commercial Game Server possibly some sort of kickback $$

The reason I am suspicious of this is that I have been running game servers off of my cable connect for a little over 5 years now.

I have sucessfully ran TWO 16 player DF2 servers off of my connect at full tilt(total of 32 players) and had no lag and everything ran smoothly.

I have also been able to run Black Hawk Down, Wolfenstien and several other Multi-player games from home on a 1Gig 512 Ram Pent3 XP no problems.

To save a bunch more typing here is a link to a forum where I am in a disscussion but have got no real technical help as far as I can tell

http://www.callofdutyx.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1440&start=0

So if any one could shed some light on this subject I would be glad to be enlightned and gratefull for the help. I have posted my speeds here in the forums. Thanx

• 2 months later...

The genious coders at Call of Duty HQ decided it would be smart to limit ALL servers on broadband to 8 players without telling anyone. I have had the same problem with one of my friends. Took me about 2 weeks to actually figure this out with packet sniffers. Your server actuallly contacts a CoD server? and tell it your connection speed. Theoretically, the server puts you into a speed category giving you a player limit. This "limit" isn't a limit its just a barrier. Once you pass the "limit" instead of giving a message of you are only allowed 8 players, it gives everyone lag.

Don't ask me why, but thats what happens.

The genious coders at Call of Duty HQ decided it would be smart to limit ALL servers on broadband to 8 players without telling anyone. I have had the same problem with one of my friends. Took me about 2 weeks to actually figure this out with packet sniffers. Your server actuallly contacts a CoD server? and tell it your connection speed. Theoretically, the server puts you into a speed category giving you a player limit. This "limit" isn't a limit its just a barrier. Once you pass the "limit" instead of giving a message of you are only allowed 8 players, it gives everyone lag.

Don't ask me why, but thats what happens.

I've hosted COD games from my home network with 2 pc's, one running the server and the other I'm gaming on with my friends connecting up to me. I'm curious as to your connection to the internet because you stated you've hosted 32 players with no lag and your system specs aren't that spectacular *(spelling)*. I've tried hosting with Cable (3.0Mbps down 300Kbps up) and it sucked, of course upload speed is what your after in that case and that's why I've switched to my new service of DSL (1.5Mbps down 1.0Mbps up) but I haven't tried hosting on this connection yet. Just some FYI I guess, besides my initial question for ya....*(i.e. your connection speed)* :?:

*oh I guess my thoughts on your problem is routing through either your firewall (software and or hardware) and the NAT of your router (if your behind a router). Those are the tricky parts to get right before success and really it's not all that tricky.

I've hosted COD games from my home network with 2 pc's, one running the server and the other I'm gaming on with my friends connecting up to me. I'm curious as to your connection to the internet because you stated you've hosted 32 players with no lag and your system specs aren't that spectacular *(spelling)*. I've tried hosting with Cable (3.0Mbps down 300Kbps up) and it sucked, of course upload speed is what your after in that case and that's why I've switched to my new service of DSL (1.5Mbps down 1.0Mbps up) but I haven't tried hosting on this connection yet. Just some FYI I guess, besides my initial question for ya....*(i.e. your connection speed)* :?:

*oh I guess my thoughts on your problem is routing through either your firewall (software and or hardware) and the NAT of your router (if your behind a router). Those are the tricky parts to get right before success and really it's not all that tricky.