* Dial-up Acceleration *

ROM-DOS

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Are you sure it doesnt increase download speeds? Because when i had Dial-Up i would download something(it took seceral hours) It got to 50% and then always skipped to 100%, so it seemed that the accelerator cut down the download time. Broadband is much better now though  :smiley:

Are you sure it doesnt increase download speeds? Because when i had Dial-Up i would download something(it took seceral hours) It got to 50% and then always skipped to 100%, so it seemed that the accelerator cut down the download time. Broadband is much better now though  :smiley:

Yah. That was probably just your download manager calculating wrong or something. Dial-up can only go so fast, and there is not a program out there that can change that. :cry:

the modem can only physically do 53.3kbps (i think, i'm to lazy to look it up, but its somewere are there) max, there is no way to get faster with just a single modem. You can do modem bonding to get double the speed, but most ISP's don't support that.

There is no program out there that will increase your download speeds. propel is the only thing that can speed up browsing.

I don't think the 53.3Kbps is set by the modem but by the phone company.They are required by the FCC to do this.Mostly because higher speeds from dial-up in the frequency range dial-up works in interferes with voice quality.If not for this a new type dial up modem(not currently manufactured ) could do DSL speed but the telephone users on the line would hear a high pitched squeal on their telephones.This would not be just on the modem users line.Then multiply that by all the dial-up modems & you would not be able to communicate on or to a land line.

The different frequency DSL uses is the reason it can get the speed it does over the same phone line.It is also why you can use DSL & the phone at the same time.

That's my understanding anyway.

the modem can only physically do 53.3Kbps (i think, i'm to lazy to look it up, but its somewere are there) max, there is no way to get faster with just a single modem. You can do modem bonding to get double the speed, but most ISP's don't support that.

There is no program out there that will increase your download speeds. propel is the only thing that can speed up browsing.

my friend usually get 55 to 56 lowest was 52

Guest jeffwalker9999

you also want a faster dns server

see www.opendns.com  {free}

ping times are faster than my ips's dns

good luck

I'm not sure how much the compression programs compress dial-up data.That could be the reason for a faster speed than the 53.3kbps.

I think the acceleration programs use some form of compression to get the faster speed.

I've wondered if a zip file of some kind could be use to send all dial-up data.With a fast computer to unzip the received files & create zip files from data being sent automatically that might give some speed gain to dial-up.Since they can't allow greater than 53.3 & maintain voice quality then something like that could give more speed.