Cox torrent problem

Crazy Naru

Ok my friend has this ISP and he got an email saying

Dear Customer,

We are writing on behalf of Cox Communications to advise you that we have received a notification that you are using your Cox High Speed Internet service to post or transmit material that infringes the copyrights of a complainant's members.  We have included a copy of the complaint letter.  Pursuant to the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ("DMCA"), which is codified at 17 U.S.C.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok my friend has this ISP and he got an email saying

He wants to know is there anything he go do so they don't find out he's using torrents

My father got a letter from them LONG ago that even knew the name of the movies he was Downloading... I told everyone here but few believed me, I don't know why, I guess I am not trustworthy. Anyway yea there are two things he can do. Number one, use JAP.

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html

Then use either Azures or BitComet. Turn on file encryption, it will encrypt the file before you send it or receive it if you do it right.

Azures.

1. Go to: Tools > Options > Connection > Transport Encryption

2. Check the require encrypted transport

Do you guys think it would be a lot harder for an ISP to find out your downloading illegal content if all the content is contained in many different archives that you have to unpack into the larger file? My friend downloaded a lot of movies over the summer and uploaded just as much and his ISP either didn't notice or they didn't care.

Do you guys think it would be a lot harder for an ISP to find out your downloading illegal content if all the content is contained in many different archives that you have to unpack into the larger file? My friend downloaded a lot of movies over the summer and uploaded just as much and his ISP either didn't notice or they didn't care.

That's probablly why. Most sites use www.rapidshare.com or www.rapidshare.de to share cracked files. Those sites have a 100mb file limit, so they archive them with WinRAR.  :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a FYI...your ISP (Cox) does not detect you are uploading or downloading copyrighted content. They are merely following up on a complaint filed by the copywrite owner of the material or a legal rep of the copywrite owner. It doesn't matter what the incoming or outgoing port is and Cox is not interested in monitoring that traffic. If the owner of the material complains your ISP is obligated by law to take steps per Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

Just a FYI...your ISP (Cox) does not detect you are uploading or downloading copyrighted content. They are merely following up on a complaint filed by the copywrite owner of the material or a legal rep of the copywrite owner. It doesn't matter what the incoming or outgoing port is and Cox is not interested in monitoring that traffic. If the owner of the material complains your ISP is obligated by law to take steps per Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• 7 months later...

wrong, I have some ports forwarded and they blocked them.  my speeds almost stopped.  Forwarded to different port and guess what smoking fast speed again.

• 4 weeks later...

Cox spies on its customers, it is the only ISP in the US to do that.  They have caught me twice, 3rd time they deny me service.

Um, no they don't, you were just dumb enough to get caught. As for them detecting what ports are used and whatnot.... sorry you are wrong. The only ports they care about are ones that are blocked for business level access or ports that are blocked for security reasons. To try and monitor all traffic on all ports would be a huge waste of time and resources.

• 2 years later...

My father got a letter from them LONG ago that even knew the name of the movies he was Downloading... I told everyone here but few believed me, I don't know why, I guess I am not trustworthy. Anyway yea there are two things he can do. Number one, use JAP.

http://anon.inf.tu-dresden.de/index_en.html

Then use either Azures or BitComet. Turn on file encryption, it will encrypt the file before you send it or receive it if you do it right.

Azures.

1. Go to: Tools > Options > Connection > Transport Encryption

2. Check the require encrypted transport

• CA3LE locked this topic