RAM problems

Nitro4WD

Hey all!

Not so long ago I purchased a ValueSelect PC3200 DDR400 512MB (double sided) chip, to compliment my existing two 256MB PC3200 DDR400 (single sided). I stupidly did not check my bios after doing this...A couple of weeks later I had a major system crash that wiped out Windows XP and even corrupted the maufacturers recovery partition (that was on the primary HDD as well). I couldn't install XP with the new chip in place, which raised the eyebrows, and led to me eventually realising it had caused the crash. When I installed XP I tempted fate and put the new chip back in, and checked the bios. It was listing all my RAM as PC2700, yet when the new chip was removed it correctly listed the remaining two as PC3200. Back went the RAM to Ebuyer, who said they tested it and found it faulty. I now have a new chip which I installed, only for the same configuration problems to occur. If it's on its own the new chip is listed correctly in the bios but the system runs about as quick as a 486, and if it's put in with the two 256MB it again lists them as PC2700. I've also tried all combinations of 256+512 etc, to get the same results. My system is a Compaq Presario SR1219UK, 2.66GHz P4, 1xIDE 40GB, 1xSATA 60GB, 1XSATA 300GB, with 4 RAM bays capable of holding a max of 4GB, I have the two 256MB chips in the first paired bay (though I don't think DDR DIMM's have to be in a any particular order?) and when it's in (which it isn't right now!) the 512MB goes into the first slot of the second pair. I've checked Compaq/HP's sites (and found the chips should technically work fine together), and updated the bios (which contained no mention of RAM conflict solutions) and trawled the web looking for comparisons, but I can't work it out. Sorry to witter on, but I figured I might as well get all the info down in one long winded go. Thanks to everyone who checks this out and thanks in advance for any help!

The only reason I didn't automatically assume the second set was bad is that on it's own it doesn't have a conflict with the bios, despite suspect running speeds. My friend had suggested that the timing between the chips may be an issue, though I'm not familiar with memory at this level of technicality, more reading is to be done!

I had heard the Corsair RAM was of a good quality, which is why I bought that instead of the cheaper branded stuff (I can't afford real high end stuff mind you). I couldn't call Ebuyer yesterday, being a Sunday, but will do today.

The only reason I didn't automatically assume the second set was bad is that on it's own it doesn't have a conflict with the bios, despite suspect running speeds. My friend had suggested that the timing between the chips may be an issue, though I'm not familiar with memory at this level of technicality, more reading is to be done!

I had heard the Corsair RAM was of a good quality, which is why I bought that instead of the cheaper branded stuff (I can't afford real high end stuff mind you). I couldn't call Ebuyer yesterday, being a Sunday, but will do today.

Yes, Corsair, good RAM, didn't know this, sorry. A lot of people go out and buy Kensington or PNY, budget stuff, like I used to do. That's all I know on this subject. Good luck.