Sempron 3400+ & MSI board

BBA

I was out today, looking to upgrade my Athlon XP 1800+ to something a little more modern, but not too costly.  I picked up a 64-bit Sempron 3400+ and an MSI motherboard.  I put it all together and it seems to start doing everyhing fine, I can get into the BIOS, but it won't load Windows.  This mobo has issues with some (probably most) AGP cards; it has an "AGR" slot, as well as PCI express slots (x16 and x1).  Anyway, since all I had around was an AGP card, I figured I'd give it a shot and see if I would get lucky with it.  I get to the screen that asks if I want to load windows normally, or choose one of the safe mode options, etc.  If I choose to start window normally, the screen goes black for a second, then the blue screen flashes and it reboots.  If I try any other option, I get similar results, minus the flashing of the blue screen.  I tried to swap out the AGP card with a PCI card (not express), but I got the same results.  What's the issue?  Is it a conflict with something?  Am I going to have to format my hard drive and reload everything?  That's basically all I'm trying to avoid, if at all possible.  Thanks.

Yeah.. you are going to have to reformat.. 99% of the time you can not move hard drives, that contain the os, between two different platforms, Socket A vs 745/939.

I would put the drive back into your old computer.. get everything that you need to have on a different partition. then reinstall. windows on the new computer.. this way you can save your important stuff and get rid of all of the old drivers that would have been associated with the older computer. 

I wouldnt waste your time with x64.. there are real no performance gains..

ard|OCP.com]

We were happy to see our

Yeah.. you are going to have to reformat.. 99% of the time you can not move hard drives, that contain the os, between two different platforms, Socket A vs 745/939.

Yeah, after trying anything I could think of to avoid having to reformat, I learned that I'm just gonna have to do it.  I'll buy a new HD soon to take advantage of te SATA connectors on the mobo, but for now I'm running on a borrowed HD with mine as the slave so I can transfer everything I want to keep before formatting.  It seems I just refuse to do things the easy way.

Hahaha.. welcome to the computer industry.. The easy stuff is the hardest to do!

Well, because I'm just so dead set on not formatting my drive, I ordered a new hard drive for my new board and processor and I'm going to rebuild my previous system in a different case.  The older stuff will be my wife's computer, I get the newer stuff.  Sounds fair to me.  This will keep her from complaining about me doing anything to the computer since I'll leave hers alone (until she breaks it).