cant remove file

maddoghunter

help please file removal  

3 members have voted

1. 1. help please file removal

• removal
    • help

help i cant remove a file it says another programme is useing it and i know its not so

this is a movie file,everytime i try to remove it it says another programme is useing it,i used to have a programme for removal of stuborn files but lost this when i reinstaled my pc some time back hope someone knows the name of programme and where to download it thanks maddog

what's the poll for???...what r we voting on??...

can u go into the task manager and end the process that's using this file?

that's happened to me before and that's what i did...wasn't a movie tho...it was a song...and actually it turned out to be some sort of spyware...and my anti spyware caught it and couldn't remove it til i ended it in the task manager.

help i cant remove a file it says another programme is useing it and i know its not so

this is a movie file,everytime i try to remove it it says another programme is useing it,i used to have a programme for removal of stuborn files but lost this when i reinstaled my pc some time back hope someone knows the name of programme and where to download it thanks maddog

go into safe mode, or hold shift as windows is starting to stop it rom running.

tdawnaz

If a file is in use / loaded into memory, there is a lock put on the file preventing deletion.

so sounds like the problem i had isn't the same as his...u know us women, we have different problems than men do...so what other program is using his file??

i didn't have to do all that to be able to delete it i just used the task mgr/end process and poof it was gone...

so sounds like the problem i had isn't the same as his...u know us women, we have different problems than men do...so what other program is using his file??

i didn't have to do all that to be able to delete it i just used the task mgr/end process and poof it was gone...

If a file is in use by another program, such as Word as an example, you won't be able to delete the open file.

You can give it a try, just for fun  :):

Make a document file in Word, or some other word processing program, then save it to your desktop.  Now, while you have the file you just created open in your word processing program, try to delete it from your desktop.  You most likely will get a sharing violation error when you try to delete it.  A file does not need to be in the task manager as a process to be locked.  Most any file can be locked by just being in use by another program.

BTW:  There are many sub-processes running underneath each of the listings in the task managers process list.You can see these by downloading a process viewer:  here is one that I use: http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,6102,00.asp

Many spyware programs will load as sub-processes (modules) because these processes are 'hidden' from view in Task Manager.  Hope this helps!