Ebay Help

richcornucopia

I have just put some computer stuff on ebay and have been contacted by a possible buyer who wants to purchase the item before any bids are made on it. Is against ebay policy or is there a way that I can sell it to him right now? This is my first time selling an item so I couldn't have a buy it now. Just want to be careful and not get kicked off ebay thanks.

Bought on ebay once myself! All I can tell you is if it feels wrong, don't do it. Lots of people would do it anyway. If you want to do right, call ebay, without giving person's info. I would not myself! Am pretty sure it is against rules, or how they would make any money. Hence your answer! Sorry! Ebay has built in safeties for them and us. It is set so everybody gets paid. Most figure I am too honest, for most part. But I sleep better!

Kind of like this: If you had not put it on ebay, he would not have got ahold of you. If you sell it on some other source, newspaper, word of mouth, etc..., well I could probably sleep then, probably(knowing they were the reason it sold).

Kind of how honest business world works:If you are working on my job and an individual walks up and solicits your services, you are supposes to refer them to me. If a person walks up to you while you are anywhere but on my jobsite, then it is free game. If boss or ebay screwed you, oh well, free game.

richcornucopia :I have never sold anything on EBay but I have bought several items.I have bid on items that the seller just withdrew.Ebay took the complaint but I never saw that they stopped that person from selling.About all a seller has to do is say they found a flaw or that the item was damaged after they put it for sale so it was no longer what they represented,& withdrwa it.Maybe they still have to pay EBay so they really don't care.I even reported one seller that was selling a copyrighted poster as original when it was a reproduction & the seller hadn't paid to use the copyright.I even reported it to Winchester the company whose copyright was violated & nothing was ever done.The last time I checked this seller is still selling this poster.So much for EBay keeping an eye on sellers.They are much tougher on a buyer that doesn't complete the trade.

I'm with tommie gorman  go ahead with the auction & complete the sale.It's the honest thing to do even if you can get out of it.

I've bought & sold on eBay for several yrs now.  It is against eBay policy to offer someone to buy their product off eBay once it has been listed.  Matter of fact, eBay encourages you to report to them such instances of someone making you that kind of offer.  It does happen though.  When you end an auction early all you have to state is that the item is no longer for sale.  Then you can do with it as you like.  I sold some computer stuff once & had a couple offers from people wanting me to end the auctions early & sell to them.  I didn't acknowledge their emails and let the auctions run.  I'm with you...it wasn't worth the risk of having problems with eBay. 

dman58 : Since you have sold on Ebay & I guess removed an item.Do you still have to pay Ebay something when you do that?

If you do that probably explains why they don't mind sellers doing this.They are not so easy on buyers that withdraw a bid.

tommie gorman : My brother also had an item not come but he had paid with Paypal & just denied the charge someway either through Paypal or his credit card that backed the Paypal account.I don't remember exactly never had the problem myself.

The bogus poster was the worst thing although it looks excelent.A few things haven't ben in as "good" of condition as represented But were acceptable.For the most part the items have been good & I will continue to buy on Ebay.

cholla: You are right...you still incur the listing fees that were associated with the item.  That is the only fees; they don't charge you for ending the auction early.  I have had only one problem in all my yrs eBaying.  One item I purchased that I got shafted on.  It wasn't enough to warrant eBay or Paypal covering the loss (Less than $25).  I still use eBay a lot.  It's a great place to find good deals but as they say in their policy "buyer beware".  If it sounds too good to be true; it probably is!  And check out the sellers feedback!!

• 1 month later...

As long as you have more than (I think it is 12 hours) you can go to my ebay and choose to sell it to the highest bidder. You can communicate this to the buyer by email and get him to bid for what you want. When he has done this you can end early and sell to the highest bidder. Hope this helps!