Cable Splitter..Slow Down Connection??

wyantm06

Ok if I have a cable spliter to split my TV and Cable modem out will it slow down my connection?

read the guide at http://www.testmy.net/forum/t-11976 -- it may have the answer you need ;-)  -- let me know in this thread if this answers your question.. otherwise let me know in this thread if you have any more questions :)

- Damon

Depends on how many times it will be split before reaching the cable modem. You should figure out the layout of your home's coax wiring. Generally the main cable comes into the house, like in the basement, this is then connected to a splitter which branches off too all of your tvs. If you split one of these you should be allright. I had success hooking up all my tvs from the "main splitter" (basement) and then in one room splitting it again for my tv and modem. As long as you don't split it more than twice you should be allright. Something to note though it I was using a signal booster, something you could pick up at ace.

Well I don't know what to do then. Right now I have my PC downstairs which has the routher and cable modem. Upstairs I have my Xbox 360 whihc has a 300ft cat5e running to it and my laptop is wireless. I am building my own PC and will have it in my room along with the Xbox 360. I am trying to figure out how to get it so I dont need to spend anymore money. Yeah my dad is yelling at me all about this.

for best results use one two way splitter to start with as the main... first split from the main should be a dedicated line for the modem (computer 1) and the second split for all tv's  if you use the splitter that is feeding your tv's for a second modem your signal will be very weak and like richcornucopia  mentioned you will need a signal booster...

for best results use one two way splitter to start with as the main... first split from the main should be a dedicated line for the modem (computer 1) and the second split for all tv's  if you use the splitter that is feeding your tv's for a second modem your signal will be very weak and like richcornucopia  mentioned you will need a signal booster...

i have heard of signal boosters but never seen one or heard of anyone say they use it.

TAP?

this is a  tap http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5857221891&category=61395

it spilts the signal with most of the db's going to one end and only part of the dbs going to the othere end. it makes the primary end feel like it has not been split. but you only get about about 40% of the signal on the othere end.