Does anyone use a signal booster for cable internet?

Blunted

if you have used 1 how was your tv and internet before and after the signal booster?  better or worse internet speeds or better or worse tv picture?  also how much did you pay and what brand was it?  any info is welcome i just want to see what results you got cause i plan on trying one just to see what it does. 

i can highly recommend the Motorola Signal Booster CATV/CBL Modem unit....

Full bandwidth bi-directional amplifier which is capable of both forward and return communications. Increases the signal up to 32 times.

Worked great with RCN & even better with this crappy Comcast service i have; try it out, it will soak you about 80$ maybe less.

-JxL

Keep in mind that too much signal can be just as bad as too little.

working window for Docsis modems is -15 to +15dBmV.

The optimum window is -5 to +5dBmV.

Every amplifier decreases the signal to noise ratio (SNR), which is generrally not a problem unless you are borderline (32dB or lower) to begin with.

What are your guys signal levels, ie. Rx, TX and SNR?

These are my levels, and I do have an amp in line:

Downstream  Value

Frequency 595779700 Hz Locked

Signal to Noise Ratio 36 dB (this is good, so the amp is not a problem)Power Level 10 dBmV (a little too high because of the amp) The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading 

Upstream  Value

Channel ID 4

Frequency 22000000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 50 dBmV  (also a little too high, but my amp does not amplify the upstream signal)

Either way, there is no noticable speed increase or decrease.

I've been using the following setup for about 10 months now.  I've included the ebay link for the active return amplifier that I use.  Not sure that it is necessary to boost the upstream (back to your provider) since there seems to be a direct correlation between downstream and upstream but that is what I happen to have.  I have a $10 Radio Shack adjustable attenuater that I have in line just before my modem on my desk.  If modem levels begin to get to high or to low I make an adjustment with a little turn of the knob.  This is just a great setup for those of us who like monitoring our modem!  Hope this helps.

http://cgi.ebay.com/PDI-4-PORT-ACTIVE-RETURN-CABLE-TV-SPLITTER-AMPLIFIER_W0QQitemZ5795028096QQcategoryZ39803QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

thats the 1 i was looking at coknuck

also here is my modems signals

Downstream  Value

Frequency 609000000 Hz

Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB

QAM 256

Network Access Control Object ON

Power Level 5 dBmV 

The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value

Channel ID 4

Frequency 28000000 Hz

Ranging Service ID 175

Symbol Rate 3.200 Msym/s

Power Level 37 dBmV

Hey Blunted, your levels look great.

A signal booster will push it above the ideal receive level.

So, I would recommend not using an amp, it will most likely make things worse.

Also, you are tx'ing at 37, if you install this amp, you may drop down into the 20's which is too low for optimum performance.

Also, wowitsjashon, your levels are just fine, too.

Plenty of headroom for level fluctuations.

• 3 years later...

hi guys,

I am nandhy from jakarta-indonesia.

I would like to buy the said booster : motorola bda-s4 and AMP brand (4 ports), ihave checked in amazon, but they dont have service to indonesia. Can anyone halp me to buy these both items? Just inform me the total cost+ freight to jakarta, i will transfer full amount to your account before the shipment is done.

Kindly reply to my email : [email protected]

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Nandhy