HELP! Cox cant fix it can you?

Leavelle

Ok ive had problems with my upload past 2 months. My download stays pretty good but upload will drop to around 44 or lower. I have tried Running cable right off the wall to the modem, splitter, modem w/o router, you name it ive tried it and nothing. Cox tells me everything is good usally or if the problem is going in while i call the notice it. I have had over 9 tech out and nothing still fixed. Allot of it the blame saying there was an outage when this was b4 or after the outage.

I have done ping packet loss test. I am getting aroung 7% to 20% loss or higher on somedays and have done some traceroutes and get this but i dont know how to reqd them.traceroute to www.yahoo.akadns.net (68.142.226.55), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets

1  ip70-185-28-1.ma.dl.cox.net (70.185.28.1)  10 ms  10 ms *

2  * cnrosysc01-gex010001.ma.dl.cox-internet.com (208.180.1.17)  10 ms  10 ms

3  bcstbbrc01-gex000702.ma.dl.cox-internet.com (208.180.77.193)  20 ms *  10 ms

4  * dllsbbrc01-gew0402.ma.dl.cox-internet.com (66.76.45.145)  20 ms *

5  dllsdsrc02-gew0304.rd.dl.cox.net (68.1.206.17)  20 ms  20 ms  30 ms

6  dllsbbrj02-ge020.rd.dl.cox.net (68.1.0.148)  20 ms  20 ms  30 ms

7  68.105.30.42 (68.105.30.42)  70 ms  20 ms  30 ms

8  so-4-1-0.pat1.dce.yahoo.com (216.115.101.144)  70 ms  60 ms  70 ms

9  vlan260-msr2.re1.yahoo.com (216.115.96.173)  60 ms *  70 ms

10  t-3-1.bas2.re2.yahoo.com (206.190.33.95)  70 ms * t-3-1.bas1.re2.yahoo.com (206.190.33.91)  60 ms

11  * * *    Request timed out.

12  * * *    Request timed out.

13  * * *    Request timed out.

14  * * *    Request timed out.

15  * * *    Request timed out.

16  * * *    Request timed out.

17  * * *    Request timed out.

18  * * *    Request timed out.

19  * * *    Request timed out.

20  * * *    Request timed out.

21  * *

Anyone here have any ideas?

no idea i live in an apartment complex and it happens in all rooms. there are 2 total cable lines in the place.

a friend of mine had a problem just like this on comcast, and they put a tap splitter on his line and that fixed all his problems.

He lived in a apartment biulding also and his line was split about 7 times, between each of the apartments and the tap fixed it all.

a friend of mine had a problem just like this on Comcast, and they put a tap splitter on his line and that fixed all his problems.

He lived in a apartment biulding also and his line was split about 7 times, between each of the apartments and the tap fixed it all.

Ahh, good 'ol Directional Coupler's

Yeah those splitters can help greatly in some situations.  There is one drawback, the way that splitter works is that it actually drops more signal on one leg but less on the tap leg.  Some of the more common type of these are DC-9 and DC-6 (DC stands for Directional Coupler).  A DC-9 would drop 9dBmV on the 'out' leg and would drop nearly nothing on the tap leg... DC-6 would lose 6dBmV (compare that to a normal two way splitter that loses 3.5dBmV on all legs or a 4 way that loses 7 on all legs.)  These range from 6dBmV all the way to a 30dBmV loss on the 'out' leg.  The thing is, signal loss isn't always bad... there is a range you need to be in, too much signal can be just as fatal as not enough ;-) -- and if you are having a problem that is this bad it may come down to a 'real' tech with a signal meter.  Below is a little pic of a couple of DC splitters, there are the tap leg type and the wall type that is typically behind a wallplate.

A little (well actually huge) side note :: If you are having this much trouble you may want to ask your cable company to send an in house tech... sometimes contractors don't have the customers best interest in mind (they sometimes just want to finish the job and get paid.. unfortunately this means rushing through a job and passing the problem on to the next tech.. very sad but that's how allot of these contractors work.)  When I worked for Cox as a tech the contractors were only allowed to do install, I was very disappointed to hear that they started sending these guys to do trouble calls... there are some good ones out there, but the majority don't know what they are doing and are very under qualified.  ... the good news is that you can request an in house tech, but you have to make sure of something.  Sometimes the message does not get conveyed so you have to make sure of a couple of things, when the tech comes out make sure he's wearing a Cox shirt (some of them may say Cox on them... but will also have the name of the contracting company next to that so be careful), also make sure that he is in a Cox truck, not just a truck that has a Cox magnet on it.. If you are unsure of what company the tech 'actually' works for... ask him "Are you a contractor."  -- if he says yes, tell him "Sorry, nothing personal but I requested an in-house-tech... I have had too many problems with contractors in the past, goodbye." -- then call Cox and let them know exactly what happened.  Because some contractors are scandalous and will report the job as done (and get paid for it)... even though you turned them away.  Repeat this process as many times as it takes to get a real in-house Cox tech in your home.  They are almost a rare breed these days (much cheaper for companies to contract the work out, than have to pay an in-house tech wages, insurance, benefits, tools, driving expenses, etc.).  Cox actually works very hard to find contractors that aren't doing things the right way, and I have seen many contractors lose their right to contract with Cox... but they are still out there and it will always be a battle because these guys just want to get in and out as fast as they can to make the $$.  Just beware... haha

Ok they are coming out again tommorow and if the problem isnt fixed, I doubt it will be I will do what you say about getting the in home tech. Because before i think i got the person who just reports the job complete because he told me they are having a Node problem and they cant seem to fix it fully yet i am one of the few who seem to have the worst connection where I am. And he just told me to keep calling in to report future problems because it helps him. When I called in again and told the person I was having problems and told her what the Tech told me she said that he put there were no problems and job complete. Its sad when it isnt even my name on the account and they know its my calling in. I usally call them 5 times a week. Its getting to the point I want to cancel my service but they're the only decent high speed provider where i live. Sorry for typos very tired.

Ok they are coming out again tommorow and if the problem isnt fixed, I doubt it will be I will do what you say about getting the in home tech. Because before i think i got the person who just reports the job complete because he told me they are having a Node problem and they cant seem to fix it fully yet i am one of the few who seem to have the worst connection where I am. And he just told me to keep calling in to report future problems because it helps him. When I called in again and told the person I was having problems and told her what the Tech told me she said that he put there were no problems and job complete. Its sad when it isnt even my name on the account and they know its my calling in. I usally call them 5 times a week. Its getting to the point I want to cancel my service but they're the only decent high speed provider where i live. Sorry for typos very tired.

It's sad that the quality of the customer service is effected this bad.. just to save a buck.  I personally wouldn't mind paying a little extra to have 100% peace of mind and know the problem would be fixed the first time if I ever had a situation like yours (but, luckily I personally don't have any problems, although that's because I wired my house myself... if ya want something done right, ya know :-P)  -- good luck with your service call... please post in this thread to keep us updated on what the issue was.. it may help a future guest of testmy.net that's in your same possition ;-)

Guest jeffwalker9999

I Jeff here in Las Vegas had the same problem -

I had to ask for a supervisor to come out from cox

and she did Julie was her name and she new her stuff

they had to replace the cable to the apartment

and also had to fix there main big line feed as it had a crack in it

I cannot agree more

make sure that it is a cox employee and not a contractor

darn good post by Cable and true

good luck dealing with cox

Guest jeffwalker9999

In the event you dont get satifaction with  :321: cox  :booty:

may I recommend an site to you

http://www.planetfeedback.com/

It is a dispute help site and they do help to get resoults

I've used them a few times and always got some type of help

:icon_cyclops_ani:

again as stated make sure that is is a cox employee and not a contractor

from what i understand ideal range is -10db to 10db

:violent1:

I run at 35db 90% of time and does connect , but do get flux in speeds

mainly upload speeds very

:icon_cyclops_ani:

there are a few fourms here on testmy.net

with signal levels for the modems

:wave:

good good luck

keep us posted

Funny how every time you call with the same problem.. it seems like Customer Service reads from a list of problems and possible solutions. Like nothing can be there fault. And everyone has a diff opinion. IE.(my computer can't connect to the internet) have you tried our on line help forum first? *AOL* ALL COMPLETE DUMBASSES!!!