Building My Own PC...Tips Please

wyantm06

I bought $418 in computer hardware and will be getting it all Tuesday. I been reading a guide on how to do it. It all seems pretty easy except static electricity or whatever? What is this supposed to be about? Says be grounded while handling everything. Please give me tips on how to make sure I don't fry anything. Thank you.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just touch the case on the outside to discharge..

btw is this the only place u know how to ask for help??

go to google sheesh

Yeah this is the best place for help. I did Google. Actually I always Google my stuff. I got a guide from searching about this on building my computer. So your saying touch the outside of the case to discharge? Ok on this guide it said ground myself by touching metal without paint, when putting the ram on the motherboard. Is that true? Or do I have to ground myself the whole time? Can someone give me the best place I should work on this at? Carpet, wooden table, etc? Thanks.

Ok cool. Everything seemed to be easy. We been putting computers together in my computer class and stuff, not full ones though (just parts). I just been worried about frying my motherboard or processor. I got 2.8Ghz Dual Processor and 1 Gig ram, a DVD burner, blue case with see through side, and a mother board. Hopefully all goes well.

Ok I went on newegg and I found a anti-static bracelet. So if I get this I shouldnt have to worry about nothing frying right? Thanks. Btw if a chair has black metal paint on it and it sits on the carpet, if I use the bracelet on that is it grounded? If so can you people give me excellent spots to gorund myself to when I get the bracelet.

ok getting rid of static is quite easy. just make sure youre not stepping on carpets or if you do make sure to wear rubber sneakers. Ground yourself by touching the top of the tower usually the part directly above the power supply. Palms spread open. Simple as that. When working long hours just repeat the steps ive mentioned and youre all set.

The board and processor are really not that sensitive just make sure you dont touch the processor pins and make sure you touch only the pcb of both.

Id rather get extra blank dvd's than getting the bracelet. Youd just be doing this once.

99 percent of the time you'll be fine working on the floor with no bracelet. Unfortunately that 1 percent happened to me recently and I fried a motherboard, so now I always use a bracelet for extra protection. Another tip don't get frustrated your first pc build will take longer than your expected and most likely you won't through it together in 15 minutes and have it all work.

wyantm06,

You really don't need the grounding strap, but if it makes you more comfortable it won't hurt. I just built my most recent machine a couple weeks ago, acrylic case on carpet, nothing fried, just had a power supply plugged in next to me so I could discharge static when I felt like it. Handle all parts by thier edges or frames in the case of drives. And make sure that what you are discharging/grounding to is bare metal and plugged in.

Glaive

wyantm06,

You really don't need the grounding strap, but if it makes you more comfortable it won't hurt. I just built my most recent machine a couple weeks ago, acrylic case on carpet, nothing fried, just had a power supply plugged in next to me so I could discharge static when I felt like it. Handle all parts by thier edges or frames in the case of drives. And make sure that what you are discharging/grounding to is bare metal and plugged in.

Glaive

What do you mean by "make sure that what you are discharging/grounding to is bare metal and plugged in." Thanks!

wyantm06,

Glaive

You mean have my bracelet on and clipped to the case right?

Dont worry about frying your parts,  personally when i am installing computer parts the main thing i am worrying about is if i can install the parts correctly not if i will fry them,  i have installed parts on a carpet floor before( i dont recommend u do this)  and did not ruin a thing.  Some ppl are much to cautious.

Dont worry about frying your parts,  personally when i am installing computer parts the main thing i am worrying about is if i can install the parts correctly not if i will fry them,  i have installed parts on a carpet floor before( i dont recommend u do this)  and did not ruin a thing.  Some ppl are much to cautious.

yep same here

Yeah thanks all this helped me well. I still will be ordering a bracelet in case though, and I will make sure I do not work on the carpet. But if I am at a table working on top of it that is over the carpet will that be fine? Thanks.

It is your money to spend. Do what you want.

When I built my computer I built it on the floor that had carpeting and it didn't do anything. I also put more ram in another computer and it didn't do anything either.

Isn't installing parts easy? Why would it be so hard?

You can do something 100 times and its fine but it takes one awe S#!t to ruin your day.So for $5.49 at Newegg for a Anti-Static strap its a no brainer. Good luck building your new computer.

ive seen people with anti-static strap's on still fry stuff. just as long as skin is touching unpainted metal ur fine.