Building My Own PC...Tips Please

wyantm06

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question I am buying a monitor tonight also. Should I get a $150 15' LCD or a $99 17' CRT? I want to go cheap and all. Is there really that big of a difference in the LCD and CRT?

I have small children, so had to go for CRT. CRT takes more space, gives better picture, they say lasts longer, and costs much less, and becoming old school.

LCD does save space.

I personally have a 19" Samsung CRT which has worked well. And I don't worry about kids poking it with an ink pen. Oh and heavier. And yes noticable difference between 19' and 17".

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824176040 <<This one is twice as heavy as the first one and HAS NO OTHER good features than the cheaper one. I actually like the ability to plug component inputs into the first cheaper monitor.. The More expensive monitor won't even let you do that.

So get the HP?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824176040 <<This one is twice as heavy as the first one and HAS NO OTHER good features than the cheaper one. I actually like the ability to plug component inputs into the first cheaper monitor.. The More expensive monitor won't even let you do that.

You linked me to the same exact one I posted (the HP)

Sorry I meant the 229.00 17" monitor link. I agree with everyone in the post Space Vs. Price. if you really cant make room for a CRT then go ahead and get the LCD. But they are prone to blowing out faster than CRTs and have shorter life spans.. So if your a heavy user like I am and constantly leave your monitor on this choice IS NOT FOR YOU.

Sorry I meant the 229.00 17" monitor link. I agree with everyone in the post Space Vs. Price. if you really cant make room for a CRT then go ahead and get the LCD. But they are prone to blowing out faster than CRTs and have shorter life spans.. So if your a heavy user like I am and constantly leave your monitor on this choice IS NOT FOR YOU.

So go with the 17' if I go with any? Thanks...Is this a good brand?

Quick question I am buying a monitor tonight also. Should I get a $150 15' LCD or a $99 17' CRT? I want to go cheap and all. Is there really that big of a difference in the LCD and CRT?

a 17' crt for 99? 17 foot crt for 99? whoot! grab it!

same on the 15' lcd. sweet momma!

but seriously. if budget is your main decision making issue right now, grab the cheapest crt you can get. any crt will get you a decent picture. you can always upgrade to a nice lcd later and use the crt as a secondary screen. (if your vidcard supports it...) (or buy a cheapassed pci vidcard when you upgrade to the lcd to run the crt...)

a 17' crt for 99? 17 foot crt for 99? whoot! grab it!

same on the 15' lcd. sweet momma!

but seriously. if budget is your main decision making issue right now, grab the cheapest crt you can get. any crt will get you a decent picture. you can always upgrade to a nice lcd later and use the crt as a secondary screen. (if your vidcard supports it...) (or buy a cheapassed pci vidcard when you upgrade to the lcd to run the crt...)

Well i am going to be using the on board video card on my motherboard. I ordered this one will the HP LCD work on it no problem? http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P4M80-M7

Ctr are way better if you want gaming

heatsinks?

naw try to go with fans also for better performance try to stay away from the flat ribon cables they sell nice small circular ones at electronic stores i know office depot carries them for 8 a cable this is also nice if you have a clear side instead of looking at an ugly cable u can actually see the components.

Ctr are way better if you want gaming

heatsinks?

naw try to go with fans also for better performance try to stay away from the flat ribon cables they sell nice small circular ones at electronic stores i know office depot carries them for 8 a cable this is also nice if you have a clear side instead of looking at an ugly cable u can actually see the components.

What's wrong with a heat sink? They all got fans on them don't they. My processor came with a heat sink with built in fan on top, but I thought they all came that way anyway. Yeah I bought a bracelet, I should be fine now right? I don't want to fry anything.

Flat cables however, can be folded and thus more easily removed from the airflow. Bad quality circular ones are more likely to corrupt data than flat ones with the same quality.

As for the heatsink, I kinda prefer the Zalman 7000 (Al)Cu for good cooling and low price. There are plenty more though, reading up a few reviews is a good idea.