Gentoo install !?

disturbed

heck yeah ;) thats what i am looking forward to

....the only catch is that it takes very long time to compile all rpm packages before installing them - from what I have read the reason behind that is that Gentoo is totally customizable to your needs and to your hardware, even to 64bit processors....

I have spoke to few people that have installed it on similar hardware like I have and they say it whould take about 10-12 hours of compiling

I doubt that it would take like 10 hours to get it running.. that would make impossible to install on older machines.. it would take like 2 days on a 1ghz machine.  If you installed all of the packages then maybe.. i know it take about an hour or so for a install of Suse 10.. with very few packages.

I doubt that it would take like 10 hours to get it running.. that would make impossible to install on older machines.. it would take like 2 days on a 1GHz machine.  If you installed all of the packages then maybe.. i know it take about an hour or so for a install of Suse 10.. with very few packages.

im not kidding ya - the fastest ever install of gentoo took 3 hours - thats like a record time - older machines, 500mhz or so, will actually take days to complete and even slower machines will take weeks....not even joking around

I have done it on a 3.2GHz machine with 512mb of ram and a 6 meg connection to the internet, I did a live installation, basically the compilation of the base system took me about 2 hours and that is including the manual compilation of the kernel, the long ones where.. Xorg which took about 3-4 hours and then either gnome or kde which either take approximately 3 hours depending on the system, the weeks thing is a myth its only for people who can;t get it together... and by the way it is worth it because Gentoo is the only distribution that can be tuned all the way down to its roots, so don't be afraid to install it, My suggestion is that you follow every little thing in the manual especially if it's your first time. Good luck.

If I was in that business I would have servers preconfigured, ready to go.  Just plug em in and set up a user account.

Yeah i am going to go out on a limb here and say that they have stuff sitting around ready to host you on..  It isnt like the physically build the server when you order the package. :lol: that would be bad business.