Wireless broadband

mikesim

I'm new to the forum and have just gotten wireless broadband, not satellite. I was curious if others in the group have this and what kind of speeds you are realizing. C'mon folks chime in, any info about wireless positive or negative would be appreciated. I'm kind of the "guinea pig" for my ISP.

Thanks!

:) mikesim...welcome to TESTMY.NET I hope you enjoy and visit often:)

I don't have wireless either but, we took my friends laptop out and found a signal in several different sites in our city, the fastest speed we got was a little less than 200 KB/s and this is with an older computer.We did this for testing and my friend decided not to go wireless because he travels to remote areas and didn't think it would meet his needs, I also found it to lag and be unstable when moving, again the older computer may have been an issue:)

8) Microwave

Thanks for the reply to my post. After reading them, I tested my connection and here are the results:

Download: connection = 961Kbps

downloaded at = 117KB/s

Upload: connection = 321 Kbps

uploaded at = 39KB/s

I have tested it several times and the fastest download connection to date is approx. 1400 Kbps. The speed is been variable, but generally never lower than 600 Kbps. These speeds are also with all firewalls, anti-virus, spy sweeper etc., enabled.

I was hoping to find others with wireless broadband to compare speeds. This is not really Wi-Fi, but fixed wireless. I am located about 1.3 miles from the tower and have a small antenna/receiver on the roof of my home. This system is unaffected by weather unlike satellite. So far, I'm impressed having come from dial-up, but I am wondering what to expect long term. This is one of the first installations by my ISP and as I said in an earlier post, I am kind of a guinea pig.

I tried a wireless company here once. I would have kept them but the speed was very high even compared to satellite and my DSL. I usally tested around 1750/420, also I had some trees that grew in the path of the LOS for the wireless and I just decided to drop wrireless (at $120 a month) for DSL 1300/210 (at $45 a month). Oddly enough my pings are higher with DSL as well...

Nymostwanted, ive seen you on dslreports in verizon forums alot :D

Back to topic, If you have access to dsl and its cheaper, then i suggest dsl. Wireless will be a drag if you are having problems and your ISP will clain that there is interference between the tower and you. If you can get 1.5/384 dsl for a lower price, go for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome, I have had experience with wireless broadband. I was staying at Ramada and they had broadband wirelessly. It was pretty quick but I dont know much about it. How do you like it?  Did you just switch recently, your 30 day stats are very inconsistant but never peak much above 1mb down. Why fast one day slow teh nexr?

I have the same type of wireless with an antenna on the roof of my house but I am about 18 miles from the tower. I don't have the best signal due to the distance to the tower because when they came to test to see if I could even receive it, they had a signal indicator on the portable antenna they used and I got " 2 lights instead of the full three". I find that the download speeds vary and I get between 400-700 Kbps.Not blazing but it beats my only other option-dial-up. I'm sure if i was closer to the tower, I would get faster speeds. Does your system use a 900 Mhz receiver also?

My speeds were inconsistent at first as I had some trouble with the aiming of the receiver.  Also, some of theose very low speeds were testing my dialup connection.  Now that the system is stable my speeds are more consistent.  I think some of the variance is not with the wireless connection, but with the rest of the net from my ISP down.

• 10 months later...

If you are limited to 300 Kbps, you are getting about as much as you are going to. That doesn't sound right for the close distance you are to your tower. I'm 15 miles away from my tower and I average around 800 Kbps when the system isn't too busy. You can go to the Make it faster... forum and try and use cablenut and see if you can get it going faster. I know cablenut worked for me.