I need help!! (problems with wireless DSL connection)

Hail to the King

My friend told me to post here, and post info about the problems i'm having and whatnot:

TCP/Web100 Network Diagnostic Tool v5.3.3d

click START to begin

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  Done

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 160.58Kb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 259.49kb/s

Your PC is connected to a Cable/DSL modem

Information: Other network traffic is congesting the link

Information: The receive buffer should be 112.99 Kbytes to maximize throughput

-------------------------------------------

Upload/download tests:

dslreports.com speed test result on 2006-02-25 23:55:16 EST:

245 / 98

Your download speed : 245 kbps or 30.6 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 98 kbps or 12.3 KB/sec.

------------------------------------------------------------

204 / 121

Your download speed : 204 kbps or 25.5 KB/sec.

Your upload speed : 121 kbps or 15.2 KB/sec.

---------------------------------------------------------

My connection is supposed to be 256down/128up

I get ping spikes when I play games online with my new wireless DSL connection, such as: when I am in game, about every 20 seconds or so, I get a bad ping spike that freezes me in place, and I can't move for about 10 seconds maybe?  Anyone that plays online games knows that that means you are screwed, especially when it keeps happening so often.

Not only this, but my chat programs can't keep a connection either, they keep getting disconnected every so often, like every 20 minutes maybe, and lastly, in order to not have my downloads timeout, I have to use Download Accelerator.

I also have cablenut, and could use a cablenut setup.

As fatty said you are pretty close to your cap. You should set your wireless router with mac restrictions and wap to keep anyone else from stealing some of your speed. Also try changing channels on your router. If you are playing games with voice chat your speed ratings is baarely enough so that may be contributing to your problems.

Oh also welcome to the site. Glad we were recommended. Hope you enjoy the site and stay a while.  :D You can also try tweaking your connection some that may help.

http://www.testmy.net/topic-1013

Thanks.

My home network is cabled, the DSL connection is wireless. ;)

I have tried connecting my computer directly through the DSL radio, and i'm still getting the same problems also.

I have called my ISP a number of times and told them my problems, they keep telling me that the problems I am experiencing are outside their network, so they can't do anything about it, they are saying the servers that I play on are what lag, not my connection.  So basically they are telling me that hundreds of servers lag to my connection and its those server's fault, not the ISP's.

I just recently switched over from 56k, and when I had 56k, I could play on any server just fine as long as I had a good ping to it, I personally rent 2 servers, and played on them for about a year with no problems, now that I have wireless DSL though, any server I go to gives me these ping spikes. :(

I would say that (unless you notice your modem lights changing?) it is most likely an issue with the wireless end of things.  This technology is not best suited for gaming (you'd wanna go hardwired).  Your speeds look good, which would mean that your connection from the ISP is good.  Please read here about factors which affect your wireless: http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/factors.php

It could be anything from a cordless phone, your microwave, or water running.  Simply put, wireless is not dependable enough for online gaming.  It's fine for browsing and what not, but if you need a serious dedicated connection, hook up an ethernet cable.

Anyone else have any ideas?  I still think there might be something wrong on the ISP's end, as they are kindof new and inexperienced, but I don't know enough about this stuff myself to get them to fix it.  I was hoping there would be someone here that might know alot about this stuff in particular and give me something to try, or for me to get the ISP to try.

Well, here is some news you probably don't want to hear:

Wireless + Your Advertised Speeds do not mix well.  Your speeds are very low for gaming as it is, and adding wireless in the mix (and the loss in speed it inevitably brings) only makes matters worse.  I would call your ISP and ask how far you are from the CO, and if there are any higher speed packages available for you.  You could post a traceroute:  (from the command prompt, type: tracert www.testmy.net) which can show us if there is a network issue.

Your speeds are very low for gaming as it is

But 56k should be alot worse right?  Thats what I had just before this.  56k lagged when I played sometimes but that was usually when there were other people using comps online on my home network at the same time, but beyond that, I never got bad lag spikes like this, just normal lag. :P

Heres the tracerts:

http://www.anticlan.net/images/tracert1.JPG

http://www.anticlan.net/images/tracert2.JPG