router slowing down speed

jackyandjoe

Hi all, i just got me a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54G) and connected to my PC, the problem is that my speed now slows down drastically, without the Router my test speed is 3.7 mbps and with it is on 1.2mbps.  This is the first time i install a router and also i im running cablenut with a custom MTU 1500 ccs file... What could be the problem??? thank You all....

I if you are having problem.. i would highly recommend dd-wrt.org 's firmware.  It is very simular to the standard linksys stuff..  However, you need to make sure that it is compatable and that when you flash the router you void the warrenty of the product.  I personally have had my router up for over 2 months with out a problem and no speed issues. 

I did run into an issue on a WRT54G 3.1 that has a simular problem on a insight connection.. upgraded to the dd-wrt stuff and everything was back to normal.  If you are not a computer person you might not want to do this.. there are a lot of check boxes and buttons which tend to scare a lot of people

no i dont have the latest firmawre installed, i am a computer perso so i can go ahead and install it, could you please point me out to where i can get it from?? thank you...  ahh, and of course if there is a guide for the check boxes with it,,, thank you...

Btw, i also was reading that this router is full duplex, and i think my connection is half duplex, dont know how to verify this, thank you..

also, is there a program that i can view my router and modem settings, thank you..

no i dont have the latest firmawre installed, i am a computer perso so i can go ahead and install it, could you please point me out to where i can get it from?? thank you...  ahh, and of course if there is a guide for the check boxes with it,,, thank you...

Btw, i also was reading that this router is full duplex, and i think my connection is half duplex, dont know how to verify this, thank you..

They have the latest firmware on www.linksys.com

I just updated mine about 30 minutes ago.

Swimmer, what exactly does that firmware do?  My WRT54GS works great so I assume there is no point in messing with it!

for some reason there are some routers out there that just dont work well.. I dont know why.. but it seems that some of them dont work well with the most up todate firmware from linksys.  I ran into this with a team mates router.. So i went out and bought my own and have been using it ever sense.  There are more advanced options like ssh, QoS, and security.  Unless it is broken or you are willing to take the risk you "bricking" the router..

Since there seems to be some interest on this subject.. I will throw a guide together this week..