Two Cable Modem Units in One House?

tobytobes

Hi,

I recently discovered I only get around 50% connectivity when going thru my NETGEAR wgrz641v5 wireless router. Going straight into the Cable Modem, I get above average connectivity.

I'm not trying to tweak my settings anymore. I've tried everything... it's the router..  :angry2:

So.... I was thinking of buying a another cable modem, and installing two in the house.  One downstairs for my computer, and one upstairs for the laptops.

Has anyone ever tried this?

thanks very much...

Toby

So you're saying the modems would conflict with eachother? Well.. there goes that idea.

(could anyone explain in greater detail why having two cable modems would be an impossibility?)

OK... Looks like I need to plunk down $$$ for a better router.

Are there any wireless routers out there that won't slow down my speeds?

thanks,

toby

So you're saying the modems would conflict with eachother? Well.. there goes that idea.

(could anyone explain in greater detail why having two cable modems would be an impossibility?)

OK... Looks like I need to plunk down $$$ for a better router.

Are there any wireless routers out there that won't slow down my speeds?

thanks,

toby

Toby, it's not that the modems would interfere with eachother at all. They would work perfectly with eachother.

It is your ISP that will not allow you to have two modems without charging you for both of them. In order to have two modems, you would need two broadband accounts.

As for a wireless router... Do you have a good signal? If not, get a signal booster./try a different channel.

I'm not an expert on routers... Someone else is really going to help you there :D

thanks for the replies everyone.

As far as the signal is concerned, it seems to be quite good.  Just to be clear - I am not on a  wireless connection. I'm going through the router to the modem via ethernet cable.  Unfortunately the router sucks the bandwidth right out of my connection in the process.  I've heard a lot of contradictory info regarding which is the best wireless router for maintaining a good signal on the host computer.  I don't see why It would be so hard to retain banwidth, the wireless connections are uses sparingly for browsing, e-mail etc..

So.... I don't see why my router is taking such an unusual amount of bandwidth. As far as switching channels, MTU, tweaking etc... I've tried everything - even disabling the wireless altogether. No difference from factory settings whatsoever. The only option left would be to call NETGEAR which means I'm totally SOL because tech support is useless these days.  :D

Any other ideas? There must be a way....

thanks again

toby

also... are you saying if i plug two modems in, technically it will work?? But it's a bit like stealing cable?

Uhh NO! Believe me 90% of All Cable ISP have to authorize your cable modem for use on their network. Which is like activating a cell phone. Does not work unless you register it with a carrier... And for your speed issue. Have you tried messing around with the settings in ur router config? Sometimes it may have a personal firewall that needs to be configured to allow you to tweak ur bandwidth.

Hi,

I recently discovered I only get around 50% connectivity when going thru my NETGEAR wgrz641v5 wireless router. Going straight into the Cable Modem, I get above average connectivity.

I'm not trying to tweak my settings anymore. I've tried everything... it's the router..  :angry2:

So.... I was thinking of buying a another cable modem, and installing two in the house.  One downstairs for my computer, and one upstairs for the laptops.

Has anyone ever tried this?

thanks very much...

Toby

If you are 100% sure.. and you have tried tweaking the connection.. the i would suggest replacing the router.  Make sure that you dont have any funky QoS schemes set-up..  And if you plug directly to the modem do your speeds return to normal? 

yes. speeds are above average or normal when plugged into the modem directly.  Nothing special going on with the router setup (just spent all night fudging with it before setting it back to default). I've tried everything...

I do have a Linksys router which I left at my ex-girlfriend's apartment.  :angry3: If memory serves me correctly, that one had the same problem, anyway.

well... considering I'm definitely not getting that back what's the general concensus on the boards here about wireless routers?? which ones tend to give the least problems?

there has to be an answer...

many thanks,

Toby

I was told that your isp sends a connection through your whole house. Now they check for your router. and then they configure it to your modem and they set it so that it sends a connection ONLY through that initial modem that was on when they set it up. I was also told that comcast will let you add another router for an extra 10 a month but im not too sure on that

hope that was helpful

What difference on the bridging would it make.  You pay for the extra cable modem activation extra account ect.  If you are paying for the speed there should be no control on how you are using it within your home (unless we are talking running a server in your home in which case check your ISP's Terms & Conditions). 

The idea isnt hard, and infact is relatively easy to do.  Might wanna check your router and such first I agree bout the two WAN ports idea.  Would be easiest. 

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5354756&SourceID=k40132  This router here has Dual WAN ports and is very configurable.  Even has a wireless solution built in for those laptops.  Just an idea though dont know what you are planning on spending ect.  The router would work for 1 connection as well however and allow the laptops to be wireless.

Thanks for the replies everyone... I really appreciate it.

I think Swimmers idea about having dual WAN sounds like the most economical solution to my problem.  However, the netgear setup seems very pricey...

The idea isn't hard, and infact is relatively easy to do.  Might wanna check your router and such first I agree bout the two WAN ports idea.  Would be easiest. 

http://www.pcconnection.com/ProductDetail?sku=5354756&SourceID=k40132  This router here has Dual WAN ports and is very configurable.  Even has a wireless solution built in for those laptops.  Just an idea though dont know what you are planning on spending ect.  The router would work for 1 connection as well however and allow the laptops to be wireless.

Darklord... would this router allow me to regain my speeds that I obtain when I am plugged straight into the modem?  If this router can allow me to achieve that using only on cable modem, and still provide Wi-fi access to others, then I am going to grab one of these puppies in the near future.  I don't mind paying a little extra cash as long as I know the router is going to keep me (and the wireless users) happy.  :D

I've never heard of Hawking before, is this a reliable brand?

If anyone else wants to chime in about the dual WAN w/ Wireless or knows of a good product please don't hesitate...

Thanks again,

Toby

Toby you said the main concern for the laptops is browsing?  Well if you just want 1 connection just get a good Wireless Router.  Now remember that signal strength is gonna be different throughout your house and different appliances can cause interference.  You should be able to get near if not your wired speeds with a good signal strength (if no other computer was using the connection).  But as your signal strength falls expect your speed to fall a bit as well.

Guest jeffwalker9999

why not a ethernet hub ( 4 port ) and run pc's off it ???

pc and modem on 1st floor

and laptop on 3rd floor

thats what i did  in old apt and worked for me

with cox cable and only one modem and account

just an idea

not into wireless or routers

http://jiwire.com/  all about wireless