Gaming Rig

jakop92

Well i've been buying pcs from costco acouple years now and im not satisfied from them so i got this idea.

Next time i need a pc, i would like it to be custom made instead of bought from costco since it can be better and less expensive.

The only bad part is that im new to building pcs and need some help. We'll more like putting the right parts in so it works, but i know what to do when the computer has all it needs to run.

So i've come here to ask any computer builder techies on what parts are best for a reasonable price of 1000-1500 $ range to make a gaming pc.

I've found nice prices at www.pricewatch.com but i will need help on choosing the right parts for the right price.

So can anyone help me?

Here is what im looking toward to:

A rather cheap pcu (2.5ghz?)

Nvidia geforce 6600 gt 126 meg

1 gig ram

120 gig hd

Good motherboard that supports pcix, agp 8x??

A midend sound card

dvd reader

Power supply to handle all the parts with ease :D

Suggestions? Thanks! Really need the help..

WOW a $1500

you can build a kick ass rig for that much

if i had that budget i get this

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM

1GB DDR PC-4400

ASUS "A8V Deluxe" (motherboard)

Thermaltake W0013 Silent Purepower 480W

AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+

nVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra

Total: $1,528.25

and if you wait till after xmas this rig will easyly be under $1400 so you could probaly throw in a case and a second hard disk or a dvd reader/burner

(sorry for my spelling)

This motherboard sounds good for $120:

-A8V DELUXE K8T800 PRO ATHLON64 SOCKET 939 5PCI AGP8X 4DDR400 DUAL CHANNEL DIMM UDMA 133 RAID SER. VIA K8T800 Pro chipset AMD Athlon 64FX Socket 939 DDR400 support 1 AGP8X 5 PCI IDE/SATA RAID Firewire 802.11g

I guess that pretty much is what i needed, Next time i grab a computer it will have this motherboard :D

jackop.........can i give u some advice ? ok great ;-) heheheh

well if you give me some time, till tonight you say i can give you some specs on few combo's i've built before.....i build a lot computers all the time, so i could give you few pointers.....you were talking that you want pcix ? if you mean pci express then you dont really need that - your video can either be old PCI, AGP (a standard) or you could go PCI express....so if you go for example pci express, you cant go agp, its a tradeoff kinda, but pci express is still a new technology and pretty expensive, for now id just stick to agp - when it comes to a video card, since you're building a somewhat expensisve system, u could go with nvidia's 6800 chipset - id go with either regular 6800 (which is in the 200 dollar range) or if you really wanna go all out get the 6800gt which is a lot more expensive (~400!?).....if it was my choice, id go with a 6800 regular and just softmod the video card (overclock it a bit, update bios and the little things to unlock the extra 4 pixex pipelines and get some more core speed out of it), that video card is as good as it gets for the money - when it comes to cpu choice, im an amd fan, so :) i would go with something like AMD Athlon 64bit 3000+ (rated at 2ghz) - its a very good and stable processor, memory wise at least 512mb of your choice ram (id go with ddr400 - pc3200), good case makes a big difference when building systems - buy your power supply separately (its rather cheap for a good one....~40).....when it comes to hard drives, SATA hard drives are pretty affordable now days and they offer awesome performance, i always buy WesternDigital hard drives because of their good warranty and performance..........well i think i rambled long enough, id post few configurations tonight - so come visit this thread again :)

Mispelled my name :evil: its jakop 8)

J/K. That amd 3000+ sounds like a deal and a regular 6800 would be fine.

Sounds like a nice setup, and yeah i changed my mind about pci express.

I think i will stick to the 6800 agp 8x. Im looking fordward to your previous and current setup.....and also...could you tell me some good places on getting the parts you recommend?

---

Take in mind that im going to buy all the parts individually and put them together or i could find a gamer barebones and start on that. Im not shure, so let me know your advice :D

Thanks

I've never had any problems (or complaints) with using www.tigerdirect.com for hardware purchases. However, I'm an Intel 'purist' so I'm not the one to be asking about the AMD scene at all! Looking at Tiger Direct pricing for what you have listed tells me they are as cheap if not cheaper than the majority of online retailers. (And everything you have listed is in stock too).

For the programs I use, AMD just doesn't supply what is needed, but for gamers AMD seems to be 'heaven.' I guess it's all in what you are using your machine for eh?

For $1,500.00USD you should easily get everything you need along with a dual monitor system (if you are into such things). Dual DVD/CD 'burners' are extremely handy (for me anyway), and there's no substitute for high-end NVIDEA's or PNYs on the video end of things IMHO. (But then you have to consider your scanner, printer, peripherals,etc). There is no way around economics, but you sure have plenty to build a fine machine (and save the cost of having a tech do it for you)!

Cheers!

jackop.........can i give u some advice ? ok great ;-) heheheh

well if you give me some time, till tonight you say i can give you some specs on few combo's i've built before.....i build a lot computers all the time, so i could give you few pointers.....you were talking that you want pcix ? if you mean pci express then you dont really need that - your video can either be old PCI, AGP (a standard) or you could go PCI express....so if you go for example pci express, you cant go agp, its a tradeoff kinda, but pci express is still a new technology and pretty expensive, for now id just stick to agp - when it comes to a video card, since you're building a somewhat expensisve system, u could go with nvidia's 6800 chipset - id go with either regular 6800 (which is in the 200 dollar range) or if you really wanna go all out get the 6800gt

hi.....me again....i dont know if you want me to still post the setup here or ud want me to talk to you over AIM ? - btw, for most of my purchases i use newegg.com - that distributor is just awesome, reliable and very cheap, plus they have a big selection of pretty much anything computer related you might want to buy