Linux Ubuntu

wyantm06

I have Linux Ubuntu and am not sure if I want to install it or not. I like it a lot but I will lose my ability to stream music from my pc to my Xbox 360. I was wondering can you somehow use Windows Media Connect on Ubuntu or what? I would like to use Ubuntu but I want to also stream music. What should I do XP Pro or Ubuntu?

I tried Ubuntu and thought it was aweful.  First, its too user friendly, in that it uses "sudo" code.  Meaning that you can't login as root to do command line stuff, unless you disable "sudo" mode.  It's really flashy and all, and has a nice interface, but I don't like the functionality of it.  Yes you can network between the 2 if you want, but you will need to setup Samba to do so.  If you have a powerfull enough computer, I would get a copy of VMWare, and use it to run Ubuntu on your Windows XP machine.  That way, if you don't like it, you can just dump it without having to reinstall windows!

no, that's gentoo ubuntu is the best linux for novices and medium level users

forget what that guy above said, ubuntu is one of the best os's ever, sudo is a great idea

also ubuntu has a great irc support channel that will help you with anything

one more thing, edited this like three times.

ubuntu linux is the #1 distro right now. check distrowatch.com

The version of Ubuntu I used was Kubuntu actually, maybe that is why it was so confusing.  If so, my apologies to all the linux radicals out there, and I'll try the Ubuntu original next time.  I still prefer ye olde Red Hat/Fedora anyways.  (Although lately it's a bit bloated)  Most of the linux people I know swear by "Slackware", but I fail to understand why. 

no, that's gentoo ubuntu is the best linux for novices and medium level users

forget what that guy above said, ubuntu is one of the best os's ever, sudo is a great idea

also ubuntu has a great irc support channel that will help you with anything

one more thing, edited this like three times.

ubuntu linux is the #1 distro right now. check distrowatch.com

...thats totally relative - even the most novice users have certain requirements of an operating systems and they know what they want - not all distributions offer the same packages/librarires - so to say that that linux is the best for novice/medium level users is incorrect - it might be the best for you, but you are not him, her or the next person...get my drift ? hehehe

although most linux distributions are fairly new and try to convert a standard windows 'believer' into a linux person - they mostly do it through basic packages and fancy/nice looking graphics

For example, Slackware, is like the oldest linux dist that is still used and maintanined today - dabian seems to be very popular nowdays....ubuntu that you keep mantioning, to me at least, is a dabian knockofff....

I can personally recommend you the following distributions....according to my taste and what i value the most

red hat / fedora core

mandrake

dabian

SuSE

Hmm this makes me want to install Ubuntu, but I am not sure because I do not want to lose my Windows XP Pro and/or all my files downloaded. If there is anyway I can do this without doing so please link me or something on how to do this. Thanks!!!!

I'm a debian, and slackware linux lover. I run debian on all my dedicated boxes i have. I'd kinda like to reply to the sudo comment above (EHH) Any linux, or unix box connected to the internet should never never NEVER allow root logins of any type (SSH FTP TELNET) Whatever the case is. Any good administrator will login as a regular user then sudo or su to root. sudo is more secure, and has more options than su, but either will work. This makes someone trying to gain root to your box have to get two logins correct instead of just one. You's be surprized how many dummies i see allow root logins to their boxes.  :shock:

Im a linux newb myself, and I haven't had much time to use it.  Ive had a few redhat classes, and I've never used sudo before I tried Kubuntu.  Therefore, I did not like sudo because I didn't understand it.  After reading more about it, I think it's a good idea.  Im not big on Linux or Unix yet because I havn't had to administer it before.  So take my earlier comments with a grain of salt....

I'm a debian, and slackware linux lover. I run debian on all my dedicated boxes i have. I'd kinda like to reply to the sudo comment above (EHH) Any linux, or unix box connected to the internet should never never NEVER allow root logins of any type (SSH FTP TELNET) Whatever the case is. Any good administrator will login as a regular user then sudo or su to root. sudo is more secure, and has more options than su, but either will work. This makes someone trying to gain root to your box have to get two logins correct instead of just one. You's be surprized how many dummies i see allow root logins to their boxes.  :shock:

I have root login enabled only for the time it takes me to set up the computer... then I disable it.