Writing Program Need A Bit of Info Though

I am currently building a program that will monitor FAP usage that will be free to all here (take that copperhead.cc).  Now...onto questions.

Does D-way monitor downloading this way

(Using example of 175MB FAP for a DW7000 Home Full Fap at start)

Hour 1 - 20MB  ---

Hour 2 - 10MB     

|--- Add all these together and get 125MB No restrictions enforced

Hour 3 - 40MB      /

Hour 4 - 55MB  ---

Then at the start of hour 5 would direcway subtract hour 1's MB from the 125MB starting you with 105MB Used in the Fap at the start of hour 5?

That is correct.....rolling 4 hour period.....the whole bucket theory doesn't fit anymore, at least it doesn't for me....

And I think it's realtime checking,

so at 4:30pm...anything before 12:30pm would be dismissed.....at 4:31pm, anything before 12:31pm would be dismissed and so on...

Thanks, I'm hoping to have it finished in a couple weeks (doing it during spare time in college) and be able to monitor faps up thru the small office plan (with an option to set your own fap cap).  Also, according to a few sites I've visited, DW raises the fap for users by about 20MB from 2-5AM EST (I think those times are right)  and I plan to add an option to monitor this increase in fap between these times if user wishes (maybe not in first release though).

Basic settings for faps right now are as follows

DW6000 Home - 169MB

DW7000 Home - 175MB

DW6/7000 Pro - 350MB

DW6/7000 S.O - 500MB

Any other idea's are welcome guys I'd love to have input on possible stuff to add to the program.  I'm relatively new at programing but picking it up quickly.

What would be nice if you can make it somehow find out where we are on the FAP (so if we start the program for the first time with a bucket of 270 mb, the program would detect that).

I dont know if that's possible, though.

Another thing, make sure it only counts activity to outbound sites and not activity over your LAN or anything.

But wait the FAP refills itself (old bucket theory) at say "50kb" for home users is this a constant process in that case say I downloaded a 2MB file in 20 seconds, within that 20 seconds would the refill rate have added 1MB (20s * 50kb =1000kb = 1MB)

It refills at about 50Kbps, not 50KB/s

20s * 6KB = 120KB

It would be possible to avoid network stuff as long as I set the program to monitor within the proxy.  But doing so would require everyone to have the proxy on.  Another option is for me to add a tab for manual configuration of IPs that arent to be monitored.  Take note, I'm just a beginner i'm hoping to have this done in a couple weeks...but things including my learning curve may not allow me for awhile.

• 1 month later...

It would be possible to avoid network stuff as long as I set the program to monitor within the proxy.  But doing so would require everyone to have the proxy on.  Another option is for me to add a tab for manual configuration of IPs that arent to be monitored.  Take note, I'm just a beginner i'm hoping to have this done in a couple weeks...but things including my learning curve may not allow me for awhile.

Sounds like a nice utility.  Being a cautious torrent user, I have always limited myslelf to one 10k/s download and maximized my upload setting.  I'm an early morning person, and it's pretty nice to see some rare AM uploads hitting nearly 25k/s to maintain my share ratio.  Yep, 25k/s sustained for a few hours.  The FAP and the ISP proxy are the real bummers.  Everyone crabs about how come I'm firewalled and how easy it is to open a port.  No such luck.  Your only satisfaction with DWay is during the last 100Mb of torrent D/L when you can maximize the D/L speed to unlimited and see that file screaming down at 125k/s.

I've notcied HTTP acceleration dropping out on me a lot, but BitTorrent is non-accelerated and seems to maintain a good baseline connection in everything but the worst weather.

• 4 weeks later...

You are much better off paying the $25 to copperhead and getting the FAP monitor that I wrote.  It will monitor all computers on the network attached to a DW6000 or DW7000 without any proxy or other software and you only have to run it on one computer.

I personally don't understand why people would want to run a FAP monitor that will slow a computer's network performace and have to run it on all the computers on the network ...

• 3 months later...