Computer wont turn on

Ryan314

Power button wont turn computer on. When you are able to turn it on it says self test with a g" next to it. Also it says monitor is working and it says b: next to that. I was thinking its a power supply problem If anyone else has any suggestions please post

Keep in mind this isnt not my computer problem.. this is just what i was told by my aunt over the phone.

my personal opinion an emachine is like a disposable computer, when it breaks throw it away and get a new one.  If you do want a new one check out newegg.com, or check out tigerdirect, if you get charged tax from tiger, then go to www.globalcomputer.com  they are a sister site of systmaxx which owns tigerdirect! :)  they dont charge tax! :)

The most simple things to try would be make sure the powercord is pluged in ALL THE WAY in the back of the PSU, My desktop would cut off periodically and I thought it was the power supply, but the cord was just loose!

If that aint it make sure the PSU is connected to the MB, It should be if noone has tinkered with it when they shouldn't have.  Like wise I dont see how ram can be a problem if noone has opened this box before (assuming noone has opened it of course).

If it can't be fixed buy a new one they are dirt cheap, you can build her one cheaper but remember you get what you pay for (buying from a distributor you can).

My .02cents are either a Power Cord Issue or a Power Supply Issue, possible that it could be a Motherboard problem, however that would be rare considering it cuts on to begin with.  You can test the PSU with a simple volt meter, make sure you check all 20 or 24 pins on the PSU Power Cable going to the MB, you also need to check the wall outlet and the cord going from the outlet to the back of the PSU. 

Brown Out's can cause this issue also.  Be careful if it is a brown out because this sort of thing if the computer is plugged directly into the wall can cause some electrical damage to the internal components to the computer.  To fix a Brown Out call the power company and ask WTF they are doing!  Or cheaper yet get a simple surge protector.

No one has opened the computer... The other day, i was trying to help my cousin get pictures on his computer off his camera... took me TWO HOURS.  to explain to him over the phone... that he had to plug the camera in the computer. Then if nothing pops up go to my computer and check for any new devices.. i gave up ... god...

there is no hope in this world for some people  :shock:

Edit: point is no one in the house knows how to open the computer

I personally dont think its a motherboard issue however it wouldn't really suprise me that much if it was, however I just dont think given the problem and symptoms that its that.  I think its more along the lines of a powersupply issue (maybe a cord, but doubtful as well).  Those little computers from Emachine or HP/Compaq, all come with those ity bitty 250w - 325w powersupply, even 350 is a little small, but good enough if you never change anything internal to it. 

I suggest for the budget minded, get you an emachine on sale THEN add a Gig of DDR Ram and put you a video card in it, PCIe would be best!  You would have a screaming lil machine that could have the potential to rock! 

I wont let anyone near my gaming rig unless its my wife or dad.  I have another computer I use for backup and its an older 1900 AMD with 1TB HD Space, I let my wifes friends and family use that one they never know the difference thanks to my KVM from linksys (push scroll lock twice and boom)

For those that are wondering its a AMD 3700 San Diego Core (stock speed), 6800 GS Video Card, 2 GB PC 3500 RAM and just over 1TB HD Space in this one as well.  They are SATA-2 Drives and they are fast! :)

Its not as nice as some but hell you'd pay a pretty penny for that from Dell or Alienware, it cost me for the case and everything under $1100, its nice purchasing from a distributor :)