Earthlink upgrade?

Guest philp

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest thecableguy

dont listen or Earthlink, its timewarner or brighthouse whatever you have in your area is what speed you get, Earthlink is nothing, just email and software. dont listen to Earthlink.

Um....not exactly accurate.  Each provider has it's own bin file.  And unless his local carrier has an agreement to carry Earthlink at the higher speed then he will receive whatever his provider bin specs it at.  Example...Bright House offers 7mb/512k standard to it's Road Runner customers but not to it's IJ or AOL or Earthlink customers.

The exception to this would be if they actually have Road Runner as their primary and are essentially bringing their own access to Earthlink....in essence they are paying for two services (don't laugh...we see it alot esp. with AOL customers who just love AOL email for some insane reason).

Guest philp
The exception to this would be if they actually have Road Runner as their primary and are essentially bringing their own access to Earthlink....in essence they are paying for two services (don't laugh...we see it alot esp. with AOL customers who just love AOL email for some insane reason).

I can't understand why anyone would want anything having to do with AOL.  :haha:  :haha:

Guest thecableguy

I can't understand why anyone would want anything having to do with AOL.  :haha:  :haha:

That makes two of us, but they do....at least for now.....many people resist change and AOL has them scared to death that if they leave them they will have to make all these terrible changes to their internet experience.  Only changes I've seen are good things but you can't tell an 80 year old woman that.  Rather than frustrate them its better to let them use what they know....after all...if you really think about it.....the real miracle here is that there are 80 year olds who just thrive on the internet through their AOL...who are we to judge them if ya know what I mean....

Just spoke to earthlink..they said these slow speeds are caused by Time Warner working on their servers and network for the upcoming upgrade,he couldnt confirm the date..but for some strange reason he said increase up to 8 Mbps and $5-$10 more :shrug:

Would that bump the premium up 3Mbps maybe? I don't really care about download, 5 is fine, but the upload is so insufficient.

From what it looks like,and with all the competition they have,the premium will probably be much faster,comparable to most other companies like 15 Mbps...as for the upload,we will just have to find out :haha:

Guest thecableguy

Now I seem to be getting only 30Kbps for my upload wtf is going on. :angry5:

Is this stuff that rr is doing, like maintenance, or is Earthlink in control of this and I should call them?

Where are you located?

Yea I was hoping I would get upgraded to at least 10, 15 would be nice though. As soon as timewarner gets the new speeds for rr customers, does earthlink take longer?

Same time,since its part of the same network...or atleast thats how it works for me,I had gotten the last upgrade same time as RR users ;)

Guest thecableguy

Just spoke to Earthlink..they said these slow speeds are caused by Time Warner working on their servers and network for the upcoming upgrade,he couldnt confirm the date..but for some strange reason he said increase up to 8 Mbps and $5-$10 more :shrug:

I think someone wanted to just get you off the phone.  Get me the guys actual location and I will get the speed for his location.

Upload is good right now:

Your connection is: 491 Kbps or 0.5 Mbps

You Uploaded at: 60 kB/s

You are running: 9 times faster than 56K and can Upload 1 megabyte in 17.07 second(s)

Member Ident: Username:richcornucopia CompID:64027127210

Test Time:: 2006/03/26 - 6:24pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.0.1) Gecko/20060313 Debian/1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-4 Firefox/1.5.0.1

Test ID: DHZ5TYW4K (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: Awesome! 20% + : 85.28 % faster than the average for host (mindspring.com)

This was tested from a 2992 kB file and took 49.91808 seconds to complete

Tested with firefox on linspire.

brighthouse is doing, well it looks like, major stuff this weekend

they got  Planned maintenance for :INDY HEADENDS, DETROIT HEADENDS, TERRE HAUTE HEADENDS at 3/31/2006 12:00:00 AM

not sure what that means, but it sounds important, anyone know anything bout that

also planned maintenance for columbus ohio at 3/30/2006 12:01:33 AM

this is what they give, a classic thing, always the same but here it is

Road Runner will be conducting Planned Maintenance on the IP network. Subscribers in the affected area(s) may have no connection to the Internet or latency/slow connectivity during this maintenance window. Our engineers are working quickly to complete this maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

There are always so vague with what they're doing. And my speeds continue to suck:

Your connection is: 2310 Kbps or 2.31 Mbps

You Downloaded at: 282 kB/s

You are running: 40 times faster than 56K and can Download 1 megabyte in 3.63 second(s)

Test Time:: 2006/03/29 - 6:06pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; en) Opera 8.51

Test ID: 3KTR4IEPN (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 54.02 % of your hosts average (mindspring.com)

This was tested from a 2992 kB file and took 10.61 seconds to complete

Your connection is: 267 Kbps or 0.27 Mbps

You Uploaded at: 33 kB/s

You are running: 5 times faster than 56K and can Upload 1 megabyte in 31.03 second(s)

Test Time:: 2006/03/29 - 6:07pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; en) Opera 8.51

Test ID: O61JK4YHT (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: Looks Great : 0.75 % faster than the average for host (mindspring.com)

This was tested from a 386 kB file and took 11.85024 seconds to complete

Guest thecableguy

brighthouse is doing, well it looks like, major stuff this weekend

they got  Planned maintenance for :INDY HEADENDS, DETROIT HEADENDS, TERRE HAUTE HEADENDS at 3/31/2006 12:00:00 AM

not sure what that means, but it sounds important, anyone know anything bout that

also planned maintenance for columbus ohio at 3/30/2006 12:01:33 AM

this is what they give, a classic thing, always the same but here it is

Road Runner will be conducting Planned Maintenance on the IP network. Subscribers in the affected area(s) may have no connection to the Internet or latency/slow connectivity during this maintenance window. Our engineers are working quickly to complete this maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Actually that is the usual month end maint.  Nothing to worry about and nothing new (or at least nothing you don't already know about).

Cheers!