SATA and IDE?

wyantm06

Hardrives have theoretical speeds which they can reach. IDE hardrives are either ata 100 or ata 133, so 100 or 133. Sata 150, or Sata I can reach speeds of 150, and Sata II can reach speeds of 300. So yes if your motherboard has sata ports go for sata as the speeds will be better. If you motherboard only supports Sata I, you could still get a SataII drive and run it at Sata I speeds so when you upgrade and get a new motherboard and cpu, your drive will be Sata II ready.

Yeah i would recommend SATA over IDE any day! but if you are going to be doing word processing.. waste of money.. Games would yes load faster because most of them are loading large files into memory and doing a lot of seeking.

Well I really am not into the PC gaming except Deer Hunter and The Sims 2. So I think I will go with the 250Gb HDD. But I have no idea if this SATA one http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=6Y250M0-R&cat=HDD will work with my mobo http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=P4M80-M7 and if it does do you people think I can trust a refurb HDD or not? If it's not trustable then I think I will pay $95 and get the IDE 250Gb HDD.

i have both SATA II and IDE in my comp right now and the sata kick's the ide but the sata is the loaudest thing you ever herd I'm mean its loaudest thing im my comp refreb'sor ok i have one and have been useing it for about a year and no probs so far and only payd 40 bucks for it its a seagate baricuda 7200 80 gig

I've had a SATA for over two years, no issues, sounds or otherwise. I highly recommend also updating your mobo. Even though my mobo has four SATA connections, the bios never recognized them which made installing the drive a little difficult.