Processor

jamaicarocks

Wuz up,

I bought a new clone system........ MSI board ,730mb RAM and a 2.8GHz AMD Sempron , but for some reason I can only get 1.6 Ghz which is the speed of my old processor (which is stupid!!! for me to put up with and it costs more)...How do I increase this ......I tried changing settings in the Bios but they are Greyed out ...Is there any other way.........Software to buy or somthing?

Thanks!

Wuz up,

I bought a new clone system........ MSI board ,730mb RAM and a 2.8GHz AMD Sempron , but for some reason I can only get 1.6 GHz which is the speed of my old processor (which is stupid!!! for me to put up with and it costs more)...How do I increase this ......I tried changing settings in the Bios but they are Greyed out ...Is there any other way.........Software to buy or somthing?

Thanks!

yeah, there is no such thing as a 2.8ghz 'stock' sempron processor - if you are thinking of a 2800+ sempron processor, that runs somewhere in the range of 1.6-1.8ghz

Alright here is the deal..

All of the sempron 2800+ socket 754 processors run at 1600mhz..  The offical name is Sempron 2800+ that doesnt mean that they will run at 2.8ghz.  It is actually possible for, at least in AMDs case, to get a faster processor with a slower frequency.  Just about everything from the 2200+ to the 2800+ on either socket A or 754 has run on at 1600mhz at some point.

Hey thanks for all the replies..........spoke with the manufactuer no spoke with reseller first and they said the MSI board has a jumper for that.........  guess i missed it in the mainbord book (but I'll look again ).....they also said overclocking falls under misuse  so it voids the warranty ..Another Question      ((How would they know, cant u just say the chip so burnt itself))

They also said the most ur going to get is 1.8 or 1.9 when not overclocked .....but I want 2.8 thats what i payed for what should i do should i overclock?? (the fan is built for a 2.8 processor)

Thanks!!

Hey thanks for all the replies..........spoke with the manufactuer no spoke with reseller first and they said the MSI board has a jumper for that.........  guess i missed it in the mainbord book (but I'll look again ).....they also said overclocking falls under misuse  so it voids the warranty ..Another Question      ((How would they know, cant u just say the chip so burnt itself))

They also said the most ur going to get is 1.8 or 1.9 when not overclocked .....but I want 2.8 thats what i payed for what should i do should i overclock?? (the fan is built for a 2.8 processor)

Thanks!!

read what the other posters have said about it being a 2800

jeez...

Overclocking is rarely misuse, it's your right to squeeze out as much performance as possible out of your rig, but you just gotta be sure it can handle it. Not many Semprons go 2800 Mhz on air and live to calculate some more.

Thanks!!

you didnt pay for a 2.8, you paid for a amd sempron 2800+ which runs at 1.6 - sorry to disapoint you ;)

It means equivalent to a P4 Celeron of 2800 Mhz, at least according to AMD. For the others (Athlon(64) and X2) it means equivalent to their direct competitors. With the recent results of Conroe, AMD is going to have to change this, as it gets spanked bad on the benchies.

Basically if it is labeled as 2800+ it will do the same amount of work as a intel 2.8G processor. But it is actually lower clocked and doing the same work as fast as a 2.8G intel processor. Man this is kinda hard to explain so I'm just getting repetitive now. A 2800+ processor is a processor clocked at 1.8G doing the work of a 2.8G processor.

well let me throw this at u, i have a p4 2.8 and just built a second system useing AMD and its a amd 64 3200, i have to say even though its clocked at 2.1 i think, its faster than my p4 2.8

Right your AMD is a 3200+ which means it's doing the same amount of processing and as fast as a 3.2G intel. So therefore it would be faster than your 2.8G P4. Now if you had a Athlon 64 2800+ you probably wouldn't be able to tell much difference at all except in gaming. AMDs own intel processors in gaming apps.

Right your AMD is a 3200+ which means it's doing the same amount of processing and as fast as a 3.2G intel. So therefore it would be faster than your 2.8G P4. Now if you had a Athlon 64 2800+ you probably wouldn't be able to tell much difference at all except in gaming. AMDs own intel processors in gaming apps.

they own because of the hypertransport wich  kicks butt and chews bubble gum