Does Charter not allow P2P transfers

OK heres whats going on. I have downloaded quite a few programs that would allow me to P2p like lime wire, Mirc, Morpheus, and winmx. Some reason none of them work right could it be a problem on my end or with the charter modem which is a ambit modem. I have tried everything that I could to see what was going on. I have called charter and they say they cant help, but of course they offered to give me a 30 day free trail for their music program. They if I remember say that it sucks up all the bandwidth if you try to use p2p. I just don't understand how I can get downloads off the web at normal speeds. My package is 3Mbps down and 256Kbps up. So what could be going on could it be the modem not allowing me to connect to other people to download or could it be a firewall somewhere that wont allow me to download. I have mcafee and I'm running windows XP which I don't have the XP firewall on. I just have the Mcafee firewall on. So can anyone help me?? Thanks

Which program is it you are wanting to use? Limewire can be set up to use any port you like. I would first off recommend changing the default port. Some ISP's automatically throttle back bandwidth to certain ports. Change the port in Limewire to something like 40000 and then go to your firewall and forward that port and give Limewire full permission with Mcafee. Then make sure that windows firewall is turned off. Go to your network connections screen in xp and right click, go down and disble xp firewall for your internet connection. Sometimes you turn off the firewall but it is still enabled for one specific connection. Tell me what program you are wanting to use and I will try to help you out as much as  possible.

Sorry brock01 it was an act of Desperation to get some answers because I have been calling charter, looking up forums and everything else for the last week or so. But to everyone else yes I have tried to DL popular songs and still not getting anywhere with it. Grambler what are are you in, im in the North Carolina area. Did you get your own modem or are you using the modem from charter. My modem is a ambit and I think its the problem but I dont want to go out there and spend money on a new modem if its not going to work.... So give me some more input yalll.... Thanks a bunch..

what i have done is this,, and i dont get my constant advertised speeds using limewire,,but have hit 14,00-15,00 kb at times,,go to optionsfirewall config,,set yuour listening port to 6346,,and try using pnp forwarding set to 6346 as well,now go to searchingor maybe its speeds,whatever one the 2 will offer to all speeds,,you will only want to dl from cable/dsl t-1,t-3 speeds,and make sure to check only return 3 and four star rating in searching now go to uploads,,change sockets per use to 1 multiple uploads to 1maybe 2,slide bandwidth measurer for uploaders to min required,,i dont allow freeloaders, might want to uncheck it and try unchecking oob searching,,try that and see if it helps,,, i use charter as well and havent had any problems,,

• 3 months later...

I don't know if this will help, but when I had charter I too couldn't get my p2p speeds anywhere near the speeds I was getting with half  the bandwidth of my DSL through Verizon. I had cable come out several times to fix problems, still really slow. My brother who lived accross town also had charter and he had no problems with p2p. Now here is the wierd thing. I canceled my Digital cable and kept just the internet with charter, vooooom my speeds on p2p were incredible, I tried to tell them it had something to do with the digital cable but they said it shouldn't matter, I think they thought I was crazy or something. How else can you explain the difference in speed when all I did was cancel the Digital cable?????

• 3 months later...
Guest kamil234

Yes I have a vonage router but the thing is I have tried it with and without the router to get the same results of the impossible 1Kbps to 3Kbps.

maybe you got capped.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...