Barebone Kit

pitbull481

Some type of cd or dvd drive, a hardrive and like you said an os.

that's all i need to complete it? if so well i already have an 80gig and 120gig hdd, sony dvd+rewriteable and cd-rw, kingston 512mb ram, winxp pro.

that would finish it right?

they dont have anything good coming up.. just the am2 socket which is the same as the 939 just with ddr2 memory. now when ur talking about intel here next gen for them!!

http://www.anandtech.com/tradeshows/showdoc.aspx?i=2713&p=2

new conroe chip already owning the fx-60 oced to 2.8ghz. which is amd's top of the line.

read more about this article and the am2 socket here http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=414209

Like everyone else has kinda already stated.. stay away from 754 is possible..  AMD has never really produced chip for that socket..  The A64s did come out on that platform but like 3 months later the new 939s were out and they were laying waste to the early adopters.  However, you can get 754 parts for fairly cheap.  If you are going to want to upgrade with a chip that is going already out or is just about to be released, you are going to want the 939 platform.