This morning I have 
														setup a team with the 
														project and I would like 
														to invite you all to 
														help find cures for an 
														endless number of 
														diseases. If you haven

• 2 weeks later...

yea, thanks alot i couldn't seem to find it.. sorry for the topic, i just have a shell account on a high speed  FreeBSD server that i never use, so i figured i'd put it to some good use and run F@H on it. and what team would i join? testmy.net of course :-D

use tean 44352

what exactly does it do? how does it help anyone? what does my computer do to help? i have it installed with our team number but a lil explanation would be helpful

Thanks

what exactly does it do?

Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases

What is protein folding and how is folding linked to disease? Proteins are biology's workhorses -- its "nanomachines." Before proteins can carry out these important functions, they assemble themselves, or "fold." The process of protein folding, while critical and fundamental to virtually all of biology, in many ways remains a mystery.

how does it help anyone?

i think it is answer in the previous question

what does my computer do to help?

your computer crunches data while you not using it

you can either set it up while you are on screensaver or all the time

up to you

what exactly does it do?

Folding@home runs experiments on how proteins fold. It's done this way because while the particles examined are small, the computing power required is very large.

how does it help anyone?

Knowledge on folding helps projects on anything based on proteins, so its effect is big.

what does my computer do to help?

It downloads a work unit and starts using up spare CPU cycles. Normally it puts your CPU at 100%, but there should be an option to reduce that if your CPU cooler isn't that great or you don't want to pay a bit more money per month. It's like keeping a 60w lightbulb on 24/7, if you keep folding running 24/7.

Thread stickied, we need more people folding.

that is what a lot of people do.. get an old machine and run it 24/7 or as close as you can.. just make sure it is secure and kept up todate!

once i get my ratherlarge setup compleat, im going to run it over night, when its not being used.

swimmer you know what setup, im talking about.

that is what a lot of people do.. get an old machine and run it 24/7 or as close as you can.. just make sure it is secure and kept up todate!

Too bad things are so bad that you cant even run something as powerfull as this , W/out wondering whois riding your a** in or out! sad sad world of net we live!                                                                   

no comment needed ,...................................if your children could possibly benifit from this in the future is the only way you could understand why the people who are heading this project do what they do!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Just started folding again as I forgot to reinstall it after my fresh xp install.

Thanks Richcornucopia, Its very easy to forget , because the program can be made to run in the background, so theres no need to ever think of it. Of course in my case its like a competition.....!So I'm on top of it!

Figure ill help out with both my computers, pentium 4 @2.6 and a athlon 4000+ @ 2.6 should help out abit for a good cause

Welcome to the forum pheoxs!

You are doing a good duty with your unused pc resources...