testmy.net Folding@Home team

Elite.Pete

Oh, definately. To be truthful, I don't think I could be discouraged. I like challenges, especially when it comes to computers. I am going to read up on this, I think I kind of jumped in. Other than Stanford's folding@home site, can you give me any other websites that would go into it in more detail?

It depends on if you have a couple computers that you want to run clients on, and weather you want to connect them in dieno, or -local mpi , there's really so many options we have. 

:? I am totally confused at this moment. By the way I am going to change to the console version after the current WU that I am on is complete. I am at 31% and moving gradually along.  :grin2: There is but one problem however. I am not seeing any scores. Everytime I check, this is what it says - - -

Scdreamin3 Last updated: Sat Aug 9 14:00:01 PDT 2008

Sat Aug 9 21:00:01 UTC 2008

Date of last work unit None

Total score 0

Overall rank (if points are combined) 1047121 of 1047121

Active processors (within 50 days) 0

Active processors (within 7 days) 0

Here is my setup - - -

You wont see any score until you finish a WU, when you switch to the console version, you can set flags , one called  " -verbosity 9 " the 9 says how often to send the finished parts, then you set  " -local " flag, and the WU's are downloaded in pieces, it just works more efficiently that way. But when you do this, you can't disconnect from the net, because you are assigned a specific , secure IP from the server , it will lose the data, and ooops, need to start another WU. If you have to reset the network , then you click on the shell, and  " control c " that will stop the core. You also want in the original set up, in the advanced settings, to save instead of the default 15 minutes, three, that way if something happens, you have at the most lost three minutes worth of calculations.

There's a lot more  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well gang, just to let everyone know, I have given up on trying to setup bluetooth on Ubuntu for now. I will give it a couple weeks and let my brain cool down. ('coz this past week it has been really FRIED trying to figure out Ubuntu, let alone setting up Bluetooth on it)  :smile2: I now have Folding@Home set up as well as FahMon. It took some work but it is done. I might list how I did it later in the thread. 'Coz I am sure there are Noobs like me that would like to set up Folding@Home on a Linux distribution but just don't know how. Or even worse, hate to deal with tar.gz and tar.bz2 files like me. Grrr, why can't it all be in .deb.  :tickedoff:

Anyway, just a quick question. Like I said, I have installed FahMon and it's working fine. Just one little problem which is no big deal. My work unit shows up yellow, and FahMon states the core is unknown. I know the client is working by checking the unit info.txt. FahMon also displays the steps I have completed. I understand that sometimes FahMon lags, and it is good to update new projects frequently. I am just wondering if FahMon is the best monitor for my particular setup (single core processor Pentium 3 chip,  Nvidia Fx5200 video card,  512mb memory 160GB hard drive, Dell Optiplex Gx 110 {dinosaur}) Any ideas? Or should I keep the setup I have?

Ok mud. I am back from vacation.

I see while I was gone you knocked me off of my throne. Hrupmph. :cry:

Just because I turned off the babies for 3 weeks (they deserved a vactation too!) you thought you would take advantage of us.  :tickedoff:  We feel so abused. We turn our backs and... well...

Well. I am back. And I am folding "full-bore" again. :knuppel2:

By the way - WTF is this smiley supposed to be    -->   :3some:  just what on earth are they doing?

:2funny:  Alright, I appreciate the head start though, now I'll have to turn mine back on, whenever they come out with a new beta core, it takes them a couple weeks to calculate points, and the WU's come crashing down, so I dumped it for a week.  I'll get back on it in the AM, uhh, or when wake up

:3some:  Well, you see, what it is, the smiley in the middle's back and belly itched. The smiley in the back is scratching his/her back, while the smiley in front is doing likewise with his/her belly.  :2funny:

I think that FahMon is stating the core is unknown because it is such a big WU.  :?: The particular protein I am working on is      4107 171.64.65.111 p4107_ww_unf_Amber03_Extended 19430 atoms 39.00 preferred days 59.00 final deadline 215.00 credit when completed. GROSIMT code.

• 1 month later...

I run a AMD X2 { one console for each core }  computer 24/7 as my main folding @ home computer. Lately I have been running my Intel Quad core computer at night { running one console for each of the four core } to help out. The other day I try out the GPU version. I am running a Nvidia 9800GX2 video card in my Quad core computer.  :shock:  I still can't believe the different that it makes. It competes a step every one to two minutes. :cool2:

Mudmanc4  Maybe you can answer this question for me. The 9800GX2 has two gpu cores in it . Can I run one console for each core or do I have to have a SLI or Crossfire setup to do multi core setup? 

You sir will be the first here to do this, i have waited a long time for someone to use a dual gpu, I will help as much as i can. I know tha depending on the OS, and the card , what core you will run, I'll work on this later. But in the meantime, I suggest that you read this guide, and get the basics goin, I'll read it all later, and refference your card.

Man, I can't wait to see this is action  :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

• 2 weeks later...

Number 8 and still climbing :headbang:  Mudmanc4  You are not going to give up that #1 spot without a fight are you. Come on bring them computers back on line. I did some checking and I can only run one console on my 9800GX2. To run more than one you have to unlink the two cards and run each card by itself. Can't do that on a 9800GX2 ,everything is connect thru the main board. I still have a hard time believing how much a different one GPU makes.

To everyone that is folding.

If you have a ATI X2xx [R6xx ] or newer card or a Nvidia 8 series or newer card you should try the GPU version of Folding@Home.

Your correct in assuming I wont go down w/o a fight, ( and I mean that any way you wanna take it  lol )   I started up the mac again, last night I gained 1900 or so points, and today I should get another 1700 or so, so hey, I'm getting back there ASAP lol

Either way, your kickin ass w/ the GPU :) OVER 43,000 points in the last 7 days  WTF !!!!!   I said WTF !!!!!!! :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:   OMG , that is  insane  !!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock::2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

• 3 weeks later...

I don't like what they did to my PS3  :knuppel2: I can't figure out how to run F@H at all now on it. I got Life With PlayStation running, but who knows what that thing is doing. They shouldn't have changed anything.

There are always new clients out there, they expire, and need to be re installed. They improve them consistently. Just get into it a bit, and read all the information you can on ant platform you are folding on.

When I get a few, then I'll look into the PS3 client.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So who's running the graphics card client ?

I had been but it doesn't give back recs very happily.. the CPU client scales back so nicely with its' super low-priority mode.. I had been running 1 thread on each CPU and 1 on the GPU but I removed them a while back.. once the new setup is done I'll run F@H on it just to see how it can do..

I had been but it doesn't give back recs very happily.. the CPU client scales back so nicely with its' super low-priority mode.. I had been running 1 thread on each CPU and 1 on the GPU but I removed them a while back.. once the new setup is done I'll run F@H on it just to see how it can do..

What new setup ?

Damn buntz , your kickin ass !!!! :shocked::icon_thumright: