testmy.net Folding@Home team

Elite.Pete

Work for me too. Just had to change the User number.

Sound like another idle threat to me. You been saying that for almost a year now. :evil6:

hahahaha, yes, I have been havent I, well  guess what, i just did , so there hahahaha  :haha: :haha:

no i got that but look at his sig now...it says user not found...is his name different in folding than here?

and i'm not a smarty pantso...i just got 'em on backwards so there mr smarty pantsos

you know i was just pokin at you, see what kind of a rise I could get  :smitten: :smitten:  you do just fine on the knowing whats up dept !!!!!!!

• 8 months later...

Only one reason i stopped it , the osx core was way off , with no way to control it , the proc would heat up to 200 F , and at times over.

I'm moving the office around within the next week to two , I have a HP Proliant DL 380 G3 2x3.06 Ghz that isnt doing much more then hosting all my local sites and files, and will likely be folding here when I get a minute. Just need to have a look see about a centOS core.

Dang man , you shot right up there didnt you !!!

hey mudman, i havent decided if i am going to leave my laptop online enough every day to keep folding but if i do, i may have to have your help again. i cant seem to get some of the flags set up i need and stuff like that. if i have any problems i'll probably throw you a message somewhere when i get around to reinstalling the folding program on my laptop.

laptop is a core 2 duo 2.2ghz, 4gb ddr3 ram, nvidia gt230m 1gb (up to 2gb) dedicated card. (this laptop can play crysis on high settings since i keep it maintained).

FYI - team is 44352 - and I also just restarted using 8 cores on Windows Server 2008. Curious to see how fast that runs.

This machine only really does anything productive during the overnght hours. It is 50x what we need for it's purpose. DellR710 4GB RAM Intel Xeon w/ 8 2.3Ghz cores.

Catch up time - used to run F@H on my P4 w/512 RAM.

Crap , you guy's are pushing me to get this HP server loaded with FAH , dammit lol

At one time i think I was top for a while, now poo just wait , if I turn the mac on I can get nearly 2200 points / day , I also wonder what this server will do. And i just loaded my shipping machine with it , I should head into the front and load the front machine as well. >>>>>>>>>>>

Crap , you guy's are pushing me to get this HP server loaded with FAH , dammit lol

At one time i think I was top for a while, now poo just wait , if I turn the mac on I can get nearly 2200 points / day , I also wonder what this server will do. And i just loaded my shipping machine with it , I should head into the front and load the front machine as well. >>>>>>>>>>>

I have never run F@H on a multi CPU machine before, do I need to have a separate instance of F@H running for each core when running it as a service?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

There's never a bad time to talk about folding for science. If you have a 8 core mac or a 12 core amd or heck even the experimental 80 core processor you can run the SMP (multiprocessor) client using a flag of "-smp 8" or "-smp 12". In fact there are very big work units that require 8 cores and 4 gb of memory that take 30-40 hours of computational time on a i7. They are only accessable using the -bigadv flag on a 8+ core computer. Stanford very much likes quick returns on their projects and is offering

BONUS points to those that not only beat the prefered deadlines but also:

Complete 10 smp projects

Finish greater then 80% of projects you are given

Have a passkey

Example: if a project has a 7 day final deadline and a 4 day preferred deadline and you finish in 3 days, you get bonus points proportional to the 1 day early.

If you have:

1-2 cores on a old computer use the standard cpu client

2-4 cores on a fast computer but only on a few hours a day try multiple cpu clients

top of the line dual core on 24/7 might be able to meet deadlines on smp client

quad cores = smp client

8 cores or more on a few hours a day, use -smp x (where x is cores to use)

8 cores or more on 24/7, use -smp x -bigadv

A playstation! PS3's can fold too!

an added video card, Radeon cards newer then HD2400 and Nvidias card newer then 8600 can run CUDA (not to far from C++)

To fold on a GPU you need a very stable video card. Not only is crashing unacceptable but there can't be an arithmetic error in 100 hours of computation. If you have an bottom of the line gpu say the HD2400 or 8600gt it might have to be on 24/7 just to make the deadlines! With a video card made in the past two years its possible to meet all the deadlines even if your computer can only be on 2-8 hours a day.

Here is the first experimental run of my bran spanken new GTX460 that might finish a "1300 point, 5 day deadline project" in roughly 3 hours and 20 minutes.

post-3225-0-30182300-1305304408_thumb.jp

... condensed

Here is the first experimental run of my bran spanken new GTX460 that might finish a "1300 point, 5 day deadline project" in roughly 3 hours and 20 minutes.

Wow, I didn't realize that Stanford was getting GPU's in the mix... cool.

Maybe I should start folding again... The Mac client doesn't look like it has all that extra stuff however. Very minimal options. I also think that most people won't know what to do on Mac once it's installed. There is no dialog after the install. Just for reference for any Mac users who might read this, because this is installed as a service access to the options for Folding@Home on Mac can be found under System Preferences... not Applications.

post-2-0-97858600-1305314055_thumb.png

I guess I'll have to get off the computer one of these days to see how it works :-P

I only use console clients (white text in a black box) hehe. The extra stats such as estimated time of completion and points per day are by a third party program called FahMon which stands for FoldAtHomeMonitor.

All Installation Guides:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Guide

Mac Installation Guide:

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/MacSMPGuide

Cheers :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

If I am correct to assume that Ca3le finished his 10th smp project and has a passkey that would explain his increase in points from 1100 per day without bonus to 6300 per day with early return bonus, yay. Give a Hoorah for Ca3le! Six minutes per percent on a 481 point project is very close my X4 965. Cheers

What I think ca3le's cpu is folding.

What I think dantasm and JunkieXL are folding.

What I think Buntz and Le_Murphant are folding

What I think mudmanc4 is folding

What my gpu is folding.

post-3225-0-93937200-1306512503_thumb.pn

If I am correct to assume that Ca3le finished his 10th smp project and has a passkey that would explain his increase in points from 1100 per day without bonus to 6300 per day with early return bonus, yay. Give a Hoorah for Ca3le! Six minutes per percent on a 481 point project is very close my X4 965. Cheers

What I think ca3le's cpu is folding.

What my gpu is folding.

Well... it's shooting up for two reasons. First, i just started folding again. Second, I just added a new quad-core to my home network... so I've got two computers working.

Do you have a link for instructions on how to put my GPU to work on Mac. The Mac client seems very limited... am I missing something? I've got no graphics or anything, just basically...

post-2-0-23550100-1306513609_thumb.png

Ideally I would like the folding screensaver also but I'm having a hard time finding it. You seem well versed with Folding@home so I thought if anyone would know it would be you.

I think in the past the screen saver client would only run if you left your computer alone and it would take your system resources until you moved the mouse, but now its built to always run but as IDLE priority so every time your not moving the mouse or clicking or loading, the folding.exe is running in the backround. The screensaver is being phased out but is still Download-able. There is an old client that showed a model of the protein being worked on and that is still downloadable but it was found that displaying the work being done slowed down the work being done. hehe

On the high performance client page I see 9 for windows, 1 linux, zero for mac...

Bummer! Stanford's FAQ Page:

Is the GPU client for Windows XP only? Has it been tested on other OSs like Linux, Mac, and Vista/Win7?

We will launch with Windows XP (32 bit only) support due to driver and compiler support issues. In time, we hope to support Linux as well. Macintosh OSX support is much further out, as the compilers and drivers we need are not supported in OSX, and thus we cannot port our code until that has been resolved.

My options on windows are very simple, enter: name, team, password, proxy?, download size limit, priority, cpu usage, checkpoint minutes, memory limit, launch as service? Its really a tiny program thats built to get the job done while not caring about "prettiness".

The mac install guide link is 5 posts up but you already read it I assume. The List of FAQ's on the Stanford page is quite large but I might direct you to http://folding.stanford.edu/English/FAQ-SMP

Not to confuse you but here is my documents/folding/smp:

post-3225-0-51791600-1306516282_thumb.pn

I think in the past the screen saver client...

Cool, thanks for the info man. I wish there was some way to control it more. I may stop running it or turn it on and off because it's making my computer run hot.

Do you know any 'Extra Parameter' tricks maybe?

post-2-0-49149200-1306521712_thumb.png

My extra params include:

-smp ...4 threads

-forceasm ... use SSE/3DNow assembly instructions if possible even if it previous core had problems.

-verbosity 9 ...(detailed status)

-local ...Use configuration files from local directory. Use "-local" only if you are planning on running more than one instance of Folding@Home on the same machine.

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/console-userguide.html

Do you have the option to use (20-100)% of the cpu? On my console client I can type in any percentage I want.