testmy.net Folding@Home team

Elite.Pete

thinking about (if the gf wont kill me for using even more electricity!) building a decent/cheap computer to fold 24/7. along with me just literally 2 minutes ago setting up my ps3 for folding. (gonna hook up the laptop hdmi to tv and watch some hulu) lol.

on a side note, im desperately trying to convince the gf i "need" a new computer. its gonna have a 6990 in it along with either an ivy core (if i can wait) or a 3930k i7. so considering that which folding client should i use on that one (if i actually get to do the build)?

edit/ on a side note, i remember mudman you helped out alot on my first system for folding...if i get to do what i plan with new computers this year, you gonna be ready to help out some more? :razz:

mudman is always ready and willing to help! XD

thinking about (if the gf wont kill me for using even more electricity!) building a decent/cheap computer to fold 24/7. along with me just literally 2 minutes ago setting up my ps3 for folding. (gonna hook up the laptop hdmi to tv and watch some hulu) lol.

on a side note, im desperately trying to convince the gf i "need" a new computer. its gonna have a 6990 in it along with either an ivy core (if i can wait) or a 3930k i7. so considering that which folding client should i use on that one (if i actually get to do the build)?

edit/ on a side note, i remember mudman you helped out alot on my first system for folding...if i get to do what i plan with new computers this year, you gonna be ready to help out some more? :razz:

They can be tough to convince lol. I would stick with the smp client and not use the V7 as of yet as there are still issues popping up with it. As far as waiting for Ivy I wouldn't bother as there have been some benches popping up around the net from Ivy chips already and they are not showing anything special over the SB. When they are released the prices will be high and SB prices should drop. You are talking about this 3930? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116492

If so that is a beast and OCs well. I am planning a build using that chip as well using watercooling. I haven't completed my parts list yet but I'll post it up a bit later if your interested.

Gpu Install Guide said:

The ATI GPU requirement is to be compatible with ATI CAL, and that is any card from 2xxx (R6xx) series and above. Unfortunately this also means 1xxx and older cards are not compatible because the shader architecture is not unified.

I think that means if your gpu is old enough to have vertex and pixel shaders its too old to fold. see Unified Shader Model

Well RyanS, you got the console clients: no nonsence, simple, text commands. Or the version 7 gui which is alot more beginner friendly but perhaps less guru precise. Which client do you need? Look here High Performace Clients: gpu and multi-core.

I have heard that some of the best point per watt values come from the 32 nm sandy bridges with no video card. (also, when using the same hardware, linux outperforms windows ) BUT once the 16 thread minimum requirement for big advanced units is enforced they (sandy bridge) would "only" get 10-20k points per day on smp. O wow, this says that so many people switched from smp to bigadv that there is a back log of smp jobs. At least HP is helping although they might just be testing their cloud, cough, of 600 cpus. At any case you need to consider the combined cost of all your system components. (LGA 2011 mobo cost about $100 more then LGA 1366 mobo)

Do not take the following as truth, but only as estimates.

i7 980x _____________ system load 230 watts ____34k ppd __ $600 cpu

i7 2600k ____________ system load 128 watts ___ 21k ppd ___+$300 cpu ( table and graph here! )

i7 2600k and GTX 570 _ system 300-400? watts __ 36k ppd ___+$660 cpu and gpu

AMD Phenon x6 ______ system load 185 watts ___ 12k ppd ___$180 cpu

Sandy bridge 2.0 GHz mac book pro

Project 6067

TPF: 5min 11s

PPD: 7906

Not bad, especially for just 60W of power.

THE DATABASE OF SMP :D

Folding Forums i7 2600k

Jan 2011 i7 Folding review

Folding Forums Phenom x6 <-- nice graph speed verse efficiency

Nvidia Power Consumption

Radeon Folding, blast I'm out of time but nvidia cuda outperforms radeon... what ever its called. Got to go, good luck, hasta la vista.

Good golly I hope you can get something out of my 3 hours of research. :icon_study::read::icon_study:

[...]

You know it ! Honestly though , if your getting into GPU folding , I have not had my hands in it yet. As Blako says , the cards are too old for what clients have been developed. Sad but true. Think of the thousands of older cards out there doing nothing. What a waste. But hey, thats what it's all about , promote the new and upcoming , and leave last years card to the dust. ( little extreme yes , but I'm disgruntled over it lol )

Nice work on the research too Blako :thumbsup:

They can be tough to convince lol. I would stick with the smp client and not use the V7 as of yet as there are still issues popping up with it. As far as waiting for Ivy I wouldn't bother as there have been some benches popping up around the net from Ivy chips already and they are not showing anything special over the SB. When they are released the prices will be high and SB prices should drop. You are talking about this 3930? http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116492

If so that is a beast and OCs well. I am planning a build using that chip as well using watercooling. I haven't completed my parts list yet but I'll post it up a bit later if your interested.

yeah, just with that cpu (you are correct, thats the one im looking at) and a 6990 im not sure which would be a better client. probably for the cpu, but the gpu client may be lol. im new again to all. its been a long while :P.

and yeah sure a parts list would be cool. i know my budget is around 2K. (yay income tax). so with that im thinking of also probably 8gb ram, amd 6990, 3930k, etc. i could do it on budget, sure as hell got it prebuilt on cyberpowerpc and ibuypower (similar builds anyway) for under that or right at. so i'll probably newegg the parts myself.

on a side note...never used a modular psu before, so how easy is it to just hook up and go with one? i assume its self explanatory, just curious.

ok, back to folding thread. Blako, your research helped. but just one simple question to see if im correct in assuming this...with a 3930k and a 6990, the ppd wouldnt really be a huge increase if i would go with a 2600k i7 then...yes an increase, but not much. correct? other than that i like your post, it helps alot. ive just read elsewhere that overall a 2600k is just as good as the 3930k for most things except hardcore encoding or rendering. i'd assume that there would be a difference bigger than others have said, but maybe im wrong lol.

Now hey Mud you can't say last years video card is worth less for folding. Its been 3 years since the 8800gt supported cuda code. Anything older then that is worthless for folding :laugh: ... But I do feal your pain I got a 766mhz celeron and a 4mb video card in my closet. Does any one remember the old video games that said on the box "hard drive required"? How about "Full throttle graphics go all out at a teeth-rattling 60 frames and 300,000 polygons per second!" ...3dmark 06 (and crysis) did one million triangles per frame.

Is there a difference between 3930k (12 thread) and a 980x (12 thread)?

The 980x (12 thread) is a little faster then the 2600k (8 thread).

If the added threads increase performance by 23% and that increases point return by 60% is it worth double the price and nearly double the power consumption? (source SMP database) I Don't know, google folding on 3930k

The Radeon 6990 mmm... gaming is a whole different ballgame but folding on 6990 I would push you away from.

Stanford Said:

Due to a difference in the implementation (in part due to hardware differences), the ATI code must do two force calculations where the x86, Cell, and NVIDIA hardware need only do one.

Bit-Tech Said:

radeon 6990 8k ppd @ 450 watts

nvidia 460gtx 9k ppd @ 215 watts

nvidia 590gtx 25k ppd @ 420 watts

Compare these gpu only numbers to my prior post of i7 entire system power consumption. A i7 2600k can easily exceed 180 points per watt while a Radeon 6990 is closer to 19 points per watt. :wacko: Unless you want to heat your home with gpus. I think Atlasfolder has a warehouse. Edited by Blako

RyanS, I do not see you on the team's page. Are you folding for team 44352? Nine-hundred points per day is what you should see if its working RyanS. PS3 FAQ

If your still interested,

On another note my last two units were the smallest and largest smp units I have received.

Project 8004: 89 points, TPF 0:01:26 = 0.1 days

Project 7809: 1722 points, TPF 0:18:53 = 1.3 days

Edited by Blako

Sweet, I bet two thirds of that 5k was early return points.( Bonus Point Calc ) Huzza!

Do any of your guys' machines throw off a lot of heat? I got a Pentium 4 which i don't fold on that heats the room more in 2 hours then my newer computer does in a day. California 40 degree mornings and 70 degree days this week mean heat isn't a bad thing though. Stanford did mention that folding machines are turned off in the summer months. Just wondering.

Sweet, I bet two thirds of that 5k was early return points.( Bonus Point Calc ) Huzza!

Do any of your guys' machines throw off a lot of heat? I got a Pentium 4 which i don't fold on that heats the room more in 2 hours then my newer computer does in a day. California 40 degree mornings and 70 degree days this week mean heat isn't a bad thing though. Stanford did mention that folding machines are turned off in the summer months. Just wondering.

my heavily OC'd Phenom II X4 does it heats up to about 60C and can heat my bedroom up to 90F in about 30 minutes which is why i only fold on it at night when the cool air can keep my room temp down

my other two systems have moderate OC's and stay much cooler even while folding they don't rise above 100F

To View your past results go to folding.extremeoverclocking

There are third party tools like HFM and FahMon that look into your log file and calculate your ppd. ( list here )

Client version 7 has an estimated ppd build in, although mine is not even remotely accurate at start up.

Or you can simply do workValue divided by days to complete.

• 4 weeks later...

Mmm... Le_Murphant's results look strange. Either its a glitch or hes failing 2 work units per minute. He hasn't been on the site since 2011 and I don't see any contact info to ask/inform him. http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=487374

I have returned to the console clients as they give more control then version 7 GUI.

Buntz: over 400k points in Jan 2012 Nice.